HybridZ

New Paint, and a TEENY bit of frustration...

YellowFever

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an amazing paint job. Looks wet and smooth as glass. A girl at work had a bad break in her leg and they used like 8-12 screws and a plate or two to set it. It's amazing what doctors can do these days. Hope your leg heals soon so you can get that Z running. Congrats on the paint job...and time off. LOL

Home at last!!!!

413439025_yXA9K-M.jpg

A mere 7 weeks since it was painted any my baby is finally home! Now if I can only get my neighbors to help me get it off the trailer and into the garage :wink:

Here are a few pics from the journey...

Six weeks of dust from the body shop and 1 week of dust from the mechanic's shop.

413435476_P7cg9-M.jpg

Howdy Ma'am...

413436351_X2S2n-M.jpg

My bro guiding the engine in...

413436529_CF4sH-M.jpg

Clutch going in. Ira works so fast he's just a blur!

413437545_huxf3-M.jpg

Engine and tranny in... almost time to call it a night.

413438100_K2b75-M.jpg

Next door to waffle house at 5 a.m. in Montgomery, AL.

413438069_p3nXC-M.jpg

Sunrise in Alabama.

413438362_6CWTu-M.jpg

Does Ford Vapor Clearcoat Metallic sparkle? Hell yes, it does!

413438950_FgeWs-M.jpg

Awfully brave with that great paintjob... putting the engine in without any fender covers or even something to cover the radiator support!

No guts no glory, right?

Yep, I forgot my fender protector at home... then awesome AutoZone didn't even have any for sale. I don't think it was brave of us, but it was awfully stupid!

Now that the car is home I am finally able to get some pictures of the motorcycle gas cap installed. The one that I just put on is kinda beat up so I ordered an aftermarket billet cap to replace it. Also, the lock cylinder got left behind in Alabama so it doesn't even latch closed at this point.

416417009_MGDXU-M.jpg

416417014_NAs2v-M.jpg

416417002_DdM6w-M.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the gas cap looks great aftermarket for a CBR? I may have to copy that look sorry its just too good ! Not only that but where did you find one that matches the curve of the datsun so well?

That one I have installed is from an "older" Kawasaki. Not really sure what year or model. Vortex makes billet gas caps for most modern sportbikes. It consists of a model specific trim ring and a generic screw-in cap. You can get anodized colors or even chrome.

The cap is flat, so it doesn't match the curve exactly (there is a small gap at the top and bottom). The body shop welded the top of the gas tank into the fender then attached the stock Datsun filler pipe to the back of the motorcycle gas filler. I don't know how much work it is (since I'm FAR from being a bodywork guy), but it did turn out pretty nice.

I Knew I seen that car some where, it was in Auburn Saturday night on 280 and Franklin. Great paint job, whats your friends name and or business. My wife was with me and I said thats what my could look like in the future, she was like thats good.

Never mind about your friend, that looks like Ira's garage.

It all comes flooding back to me now, I have walked by this car a couple times. Wow how small the world is.

I Knew I seen that car some where, it was in Auburn Saturday night on 280 and Franklin. Great paint job, whats your friends name and or business. My wife was with me and I said thats what my could look like in the future, she was like thats good.

Never mind about your friend, that looks like Ira's garage.

It all comes flooding back to me now, I have walked by this car a couple times. Wow how small the world is.

Yep, we towed it from Ira's garage to North Auburn (Camden Ridge) Saturday night around 7 p.m. I originally dropped the car off at Ira's shop in February... it sat in his shop until September when the body shop was ready to start working on it.