HybridZ

Ground Control camber plate pictures?

The upper perch contains a pressed on bearing and nestles into the camfer of the bottom of the camber plate. The gold appearing part of the upper perch is the bearing. IE minimal wear on the camber plate as a result of the bearing. Should also allow some very minor articulation of the upper perch.

You can also see the captured spherical in the plate. You will still need to grind on the nuts a little if you use Bilsteins. The Bilstein larger shaft diameter requires a few minutes with the grinder to get the nut to clear the top of the plate and be torqued on the spherical, not the plates.

All in all, really nice pieces. Cutting/grinding/etc. of the tower top is still a PITA. I had a friend make some aluminum plates to mount on top of the towers to hide the evidence :redface:.

The upper perch contains a pressed on bearing and nestles into the camfer of the bottom of the camber plate. The gold appearing part of the upper perch is the bearing. IE minimal wear on the camber plate as a result of the bearing. Should also allow some very minor articulation of the upper perch.

This is the main benefit as I understand it between the new version and the old version. When the articulation occurs, it is the gold bearing on the dome shaped bottom of the camber plate, so that is aluminum on steel. I'm just wondering if that causes issues.

Are they using a self-aligning bearing style? These types of bearings allow articulation and should be used here if a ball-socket joint is not in use.

In a self-aligning bearing, the inner race can rotate a bit, perpendicular to the axis of the bearing. Note the curve inside the outer race.

page24b.jpg

This is the main benefit as I understand it between the new version and the old version. When the articulation occurs, it is the gold bearing on the dome shaped bottom of the camber plate, so that is aluminum on steel. I'm just wondering if that causes issues.

Mine had have about a year of hard use and all I can see is a little of the anodizing wearing off. So far have been very happy with these. I take them apart a few times a year and clean the surface and put in some new grease.

It it would help I can send you some close up pics but it will take a bit for me to find all the parts. The bottom of the plate is a hemisphere and the there's a steel washer with a similar curve in it that rides on the camber plate. A torrington bearing is fitted under this. The way these are built the spring loads go into the plate and the spherical takes the shock loads. And when you turn the bearings allow everything to move.

Cary