HybridZ

Phantom Grip LSD

Guest racerxlite

Personally I wouldn't buy the Phantom. I put one on a friend's Saturn SC2 with the upgraded springs. Worked great for a few thousand miles, then nothing. I think it helps if you do some machining to get the spider gears perfect parallel. But I still wouldn't expect it to last too long. I think the plates create a wear surface which does just that, wears.

Quaife #1, Clutch type #2, both work real good and last long time.

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

bargain at 505.00 unless you can find a nice R200 LSD in good shape.....

phantom grip may work temporarily' date=' but seems like a baling wire and duct tape solution.....

and yes, this has all been discussed in the forums before... :)[/quote']

What is considered a good price to install that into an r200 at a local machine shop?

I have not priced that kind of work in a while... I am too stubborn to pay someone else to do it as I usually prefer buying the tools to accomplish such a task resulting in an expansion of not only my tool collection, but my vocabulary as well. I think though that even though it may not be necessary, there's something to the visual value of looking under a car and seeing the cooling fins on the LSD-only rear cover., kind of like a girl with nifty cleavage :-D Do you need all of it? nah... do you want to see it? of course you do........

If I had it to do over though, I would probably just buy the brand-spanking-new power brute... Have not set up one of these R200's yet, but I will let you know as I will be going through the pair that I bought..... nothing like installing something just to find out that you have to pull it back out because something wasn't right.....

So the only down sides to the power brute are

1. having to install it and set the backlash, which isn't a big deal on other diffs, which you were going to check as well as breakaway torque settings on a new or used diff, weren't you?

and

2. not having the spiffy finned diff cover....

it's all a matter of preference.. I don't think anyone will be checking our your diff cover though as you are pulling away from them........ and besides, your exhaust system will likely be obscuring the view of it anyway.... :twisted:

Personally it is not that I can't do it myself, I am all for learning, it is just that I don't trust my current level of skill on certain driveline parts. I am afraid that I would setup some tolerance incorrectly and end up wearing my gears out within 6 months or something. Since I got the r200 lsd form an 87-89 I think I will just study it's features some and learn how to tweak certain things. A complete install from scratch for me would be a little intense.

The install of the Power Brute/Nissan LSD is easy easy easy. I haven't yet seen someone put one in that had to mess with the backlash. Everyone (including me, my backlash opened up .0005 when I installed the carrier into another diff) seems to agree that it is not really an issue. It is a good idea to CHECK the backlash before and after, but the actual installation of the LSD is not something to be afraid of if you have a torque wrench and some loctite.

just take pictures if you need to, and keep all parts arranged as you remove them, shims etc.... replacing a carrier is easy as you aren't having to set the pinion depth, only the backlash.... take your time, and post any questions... any of us are happy to help I am sure... I know I am....