HybridZ

LED Corner lamps Writeup

Mikey

I was asked to do a writeup on these, so here it is.

Please excuse the cheapness of this setup. Im cheap but i make things work.

Reason why i did this. The old sockets/bulbs were rusted beyond saving. I would have to get a new housing, wire it ect and imo they arent bright enough.

Tools needed:

Screwdriver (phillips #2)

Wire strippers/crimp

2 soderless wire connectors

hammer

diagonal cutters

DSC01619.jpg

Start with removing the lens and housing.

DSC01612.jpg

You will want to peel back the rubber housing to expose the steel case

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

Cut the two wires as close to the housing as possible.

DSC01616.jpg

Take the housing and with your screwdriver just jently tap out the factory bulb housing

DSC01617.jpg

Till it looks like this. Should just pop right out.

DSC01618.jpg

I like the piranna brand LED's

Here is the one i use but the ones i got didnt have the steel backing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Amber-168-Piranha-LED_W0QQitemZ300238283516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Now your going to cut the lens bracket off the LED

Should look like this ( only right side is cut in photo- continue to do the same for the left side)

DSC01622.jpg

Pull the wires through the steel casing with the LED loose

( i like to seal it with gasket maker for extra security)

DSC01624.jpg

Now seal the front if you prefer

DSC01626.jpg

This is what you should have

DSC01627.jpg

now strip your wires and crimp them making sure that the rubber cover for the housing is on the steel casing. guide the wires though the rubber cover to keep water out.

FYI black wire is ground and green is switched power.

DSC01628.jpg

Now put your rubber cover back on the steel casing.

DSC01629.jpg

Put back on the car and enjoy.

And also i check with my local CHP officer and he says its perfectly street legal and he thinks that it looks better than the orangy amber color.

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

DSC01633.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

I hope i made some sense. This is my first writeup lol.

comments appreciated.

-Mikey

looks like you could fit more than one set in the housing if you made a backing board to mount them onto....

yeah you could but these are already near 2x brighter than stock and this only took me 30 mins including taking all the pics.

imo its not worth the time/effort unless you wanted really bright.

im going to do the rears next.

quick ? for the electrical experts [or at least someone who knows more than the little i do about electrical stuff].

do the led's draw less power than the current incandessant bulbs? if so, this would be great to lessen the strain on our old electrical systems.

quick ? for the electrical experts [or at least someone who knows more than the little i do about electrical stuff].

do the led's draw less power than the current incandessant bulbs? if so, this would be great to lessen the strain on our old electrical systems.

Yes they draw a lot less current and have a much much longer life span. Expensive, but worth while IMHO. You can buy LED bulbs to replace the incandencants you're running now if you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing everything. Check with thse guys. http://superbrightleds.com/.

Thanks and yes they do draw alot less power.

you also have to keep that in mind when using them as turn signals. if they are used in that circuit they dont draw as much power needed to throw the flasher in proper time so they flash too quickly.

You can get a flasher designed to work with LEDs. Or just add a resistor to load the circuit so the old flasher will see enough current to operate like the bulbs. http://superbrightleds.com/

I am running LEDs for turn signals front and back, tail lights, brake lights, 3rd brake light and all 4 side markers.

I agree. A breadboarded version for my Corvette tail lights is in the plan, if I can fugure out how to get the actual light apart, damn things are glued or heat stacked together. I can cut it apart but I have never had good luck gleuing placitc back together and the back portion is how these things are mounted.

Looks nice and alot better light, but a breadboard full of LED's to cover the entire housing would look a lot better!

Good job, certainly eaiser then making the complete new board.

yeah on my dads truck i made my own board of LED's for his tail lights. Looked awesome but took alot of time. This is a bit faster and easier to do. Kinda wanted to KISS for the average person so everyone can do it.

• 3 months later...

So, bumping this thread since I'm finally looking to do this mod.

I was browsing the super bright LED website for an electronic flasher unit, and was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram for the flasher unit handy. unit CF13JL-02 here: http://superbrightleds.com/flashers.htm seems like it would work (if I remember what my flasher unit prongs looked like), but I don't know if the wiring is correct for it. Anyone know for sure?

picture for those that don't fee like going to the other site:

CF13JL-02.jpg

L=Load

B=12V IN

E=Ground

actual measurements of the electronic unit:

CF13JL-02_mm.gif