HybridZ

Any idea who manufactures the AZC coilover strut.

They look like Stance units that he may have custom ordered. I bought a set for the 240sx (S13) which I have used and adapted to my 280 ZXT.

The strut housing, adjustment knob shape and 15 point adjustment all point to that as they look identical to mine, as far as I can see from the pictures on AZC how to install pdf.

The camber plate is his own and hence different, as may be the anodized perche locks....

Now regarding stance, they are excellent for the price, as far as I can tell (researched them for some time before buying the units) and have been told by a semi-pro racer and experienced custom fabricator at the track (no not John C.) that stance uses a custom ordered re-valved Bilstein unit. Considering their performance on my car, I certainly believe it. I was amazed of how reasonable a ride I could get, in face of ridiculously stiff springs, when paired with high quality dampeners. Their performance has been equally impressive at the track, but I have never compared them directly to other similar grade set ups on my car. If I'm correct, I imagine you will likely be quite happy with AZC's set up.

Jon's link shows exactly what I am looking for regarding the AZC struts.

I have heard people rave about them and I find myself leaning towards them. They do look like a nice and well priced package.

However, if 3 years of FSAE has taught me anything about suspension (I'd like to think it has) there is no use in (15-way) adjustable shocks unless you know what you are adjusting.

I'm not looking for dyno-plots for each shock I buy (much like Jon's link suggests). I'd be happy with a typical dyno plot of the strut showing the adjustable ranges.

If I could know what the manufacturer is, bonus, because then I can do some more research on the product.

They do look very similar to stance units, except stance have the adjustment knob on the top of the unit not the bottom.

I can't say what they are but they are not Stance.

You don't know or you "can't say"?

I'm not looking for dyno-plots for each shock I buy (much like Jon's link suggests). I'd be happy with a typical dyno plot of the strut showing the adjustable ranges.

Especially if you don't know what they are or how accurate that manufacturer is in general, dyno plots on all of them is the way to go. Otherwise, how do you know that the dyno plot you have seen is typical?

Especially if you don't know what they are or how accurate that manufacturer is in general, dyno plots on all of them is the way to go. Otherwise, how do you know that the dyno plot you have seen is typical?

I suppose I could always ask Dave if he is able to supply these things.

I would probably stick them on the dyno here at Uni and balance them all up before they go in my car. Still it would be nice to know the general characteristics (and variance between units) of anything I'm putting in my car.

Dennis Grant makes some good points in his website and I completely agree on the subject of dyno plots.

If a vendor is not willing to supply the plots either they don't have a clue what they are selling or they don't have confidence in their product. Dyno plots are a very very useful marketing tool and IMO vendors should take full advantage of it. I always skeptical of unproven dampers because of the large number of Asian knockoffs/cheap manufacturing. Even Koni yellows are iffy. Dampers are not something where 5 thousands doesn't make a difference. .005" could make a difference between a seal sealing properly and a huge amount of hysteresis and inconsistent damping.

That being said - will the average street driver notice .005"? Hell no, thats they the Koni yellows are such a good value. But the step above that are the Monotube 28/30series Koni's and the Penskes, Motons etc. I'd even be willing to put the OTS Bilsteins above the Yellows because they are monotube.

Dennis Grant makes some good points in his website and I completely agree on the subject of dyno plots.

If a vendor is not willing to supply the plots either they don't have a clue what they are selling or they don't have confidence in their product.

I think it should be reaffirmed at this point that Dave (of AZC) has not actively denied supply of dyno plots for his dampeners...I haven't asked him. I don't think anyone else here has either.

He remains a great vendor and a huge support to the Z community...in fact I'm going to drop him an e-mail today.

I believe some of you are looking at the s13 stance photos of the rear unit which has the top adjustment knob. The fronts s13 have them at the BOTTOM of their inverted monotube.

I can definitively tell you that the pictures from AZC pdf http://www.arizonazcar.com/coilover.html are IDENTICAL to the stance units that I have bought and modified to put on my car. I actually followed some of his instructions when putting my front coilovers on, but with a different adaptation to adjust for the bottom knob (I used a flexible steel cable welded to a socket as opposed to the rubber hose that Dave used). I just want to point out that my claim is that they look the same, have the same knob, same nut under the knob and same number of adjustments. This does not guarantee that they are stance and as I said stance may be getting their components from Bilstein as may be other companies.

Clifton do you know for a fact that they are not stance or are you saying based on photos you saw?

If they are truly not stance, then I would surmise that this other company and stance might be outsourcing from the same company.

first of all, are you looking for these struts for a S30 or a S13? maybe they are colored the same, but look at the shaft diameter on the rears in the picture you linked. Those are the units that are included in the S30 kit, not the front ones in the S13 kit you linked to, which are similar to the newstylemotorsport.com set in the second link. I dont know much about the upper-end of the racing-shocks range, but the "big shaft" ones at AZC look pretty. :P