HybridZ

4bbl question, is it worth it?

iestyn.lewis

Hi - I have read most if not all of the threads on the Arizona ZCar / Holley 4 bbl conversion. I am hoping someone has done this configuration and can offer me their experience:

1983 280zx NA L28E - F54 block, P79 head.

Perfectly running FI system, gets 26 mpg in mixed driving.

Smog/emissions not a concern.

I'm interested in doing a 4bbl conversion mainly for giggles. I have NO interest in SU's or Megasquirting, and I'm aware that my stock FI system is probably better in almost any conceivable driving condition. (street only).

If you've changed from working FI to 4bbl carb on a "late model" 280ZX, I want to know - do you regret it, or is it enjoyable?

Thank you!!

All that I can tell you is that I've been a solid user of the 4 barrel carb setup for probably 10 years now.

I have an L28 and have used 3 different manifolds and 4 different types of Holley 4 barrel carbs. Why? It's easy to bang on a Holley and manifold onto your car and get it to run reasonably well straight outa the box. Few people really take the time to really 'tune' it up well and soon give up saying that the setup is crap.

I spent many hours on the road testing all of my combinations because it was 'fun'. I mean it....when that 4 barrel is cracked open it gives our engines a unique sound which I love. Others enjoyed it too judging by the number of people who'd turn their heads when you'd roar past 'em! :-D

Then, if you don't like tuning a carb, there's always this as an option. :flamedevi That should give 'em a giggle!

I'd say 'Go for it!'

10405_thumb.attach

Holley's are fanastic! easiest thing in the world to tune - so much more fun than playing with EFI :-),

However, I used to own a Valiant Charger with a 4.3L straight six, (old Dodge truck motor from the 60's :-)), when I first got it there was a 4bbl manifold and a 4bbl Holley 465cfm, was awesome when you floored it going in a straight line, but second you went round a corner would lean out terribly and car would always stutter and stop...........and then off you go again!!!

It was a very poor design, unequal runners - 1st and 6th runners were at least twice as long as the 3rd and 4th runners - some pistons got starved of air/fuel and some were getting to much - could have been sh#t head design as well, I dont know!!! But was a real pain in the a@s!!!

This same engine however did not have any of the same issues once you slapped tripple webbers onto the side of it!!! Just always make me a bit sketchy about slapping a single 4bbl onto a straight six after that experience!!!

I used to own a Valiant Charger with a 4.3L straight six, ... , but second you went round a corner would lean out terribly and car would always stutter and stop...........

They did not solve that on the Volare's as well... my wife's 7X Volare would ALWAYS stall when I drove it around a left corner...

She drove it slower, so no problem I guess. But everytime I stepped on it to turn left across traffic the damn thing died on me.

And that was a one or two barrel carb. Terrible positioning of float bowl or something. 15 years down the road, and still the same symptom.

That's progress, eh?

Back to your regular programming.

I currently use the AZ car intake and Holley 390 4bbl carb. NEVER has it stalled, crapped out, froze up, fried plugs bla bla bla. I love the sound my engine makes :wink: I will be putting my car on the dyno monday 11-17-2008. I'm gona post the results here on another post of mine. I'm gona post all the tuning I have done as well......The 4bbl looks awesome(not as good as tripple duces but close enough)....

Hi - I have read most if not all of the threads on the Arizona ZCar / Holley 4 bbl conversion. I am hoping someone has done this configuration and can offer me their experience:

1983 280zx NA L28E - F54 block, P79 head.

Perfectly running FI system, gets 26 mpg in mixed driving.

Smog/emissions not a concern.

I'm interested in doing a 4bbl conversion mainly for giggles. I have NO interest in SU's or Megasquirting, and I'm aware that my stock FI system is probably better in almost any conceivable driving condition. (street only).

If you've changed from working FI to 4bbl carb on a "late model" 280ZX, I want to know - do you regret it, or is it enjoyable?

Thank you!!

Why not spend your money on something that actually makes the car better? Seems like you know that it isn't going to do much for power or driveability, and it will probably not get 26 mpg after the swap. You'll have to mess with the fuel pump, etc. It's a lot of hassle so that you can close the hood and not see or likely feel the difference.

ozconnection, what is that thing? It looks evil...in a good way. :)

This is my car, walkaround, on the dyno and down the road. Enjoy!

All of the clips are with the Arizona intake and a Holley 465 vac sec. I might point out that the Clifford intake made heaps more top end power but the Arizona is the choice for low rpm torque, something that's important to me and my machine. Having said that, the thing still pulls pretty hard at the top end. :wink: And the sound inside the car? Quite quiet just cruising around with just a burble out back. Great on warm nights with the windows down or driving your favourite stretch of winding road with the exhaust bouncing back off the walls. :icon14:

No one see's what you've got under the hood until you stop and show them, that's your choice.....the difference is when you drive past they know its a Datsun.......but somehow it 'sounds' different.

Your videos make a very persuasive case. :lol: The tailpipe one, particularly, made my hairs stand up when you floored it the first time. That's a great sound. I'm going to start planning/budgeting for a conversion.

The philosophical issues have been done to death on plenty of other threads, but I'll put in my reasoning - I have a beater Civic that gets 35 mpg to do all of my responsible grownup stuff in - the ZX is to get away from that, and learn new(old) things. I now know as much about 1970s L-Jetronic fuel injection as I care to know, and I want to take another step backwards. I don't have the space, knowhow, or inclination to do a turbo swap / V8 swap or build a stroker, so this is what makes sense to me for $600 or so.

Hopefully I'll have something to report soon. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 280zex, hope you don't mind, I'm going to cross-link your other thread here, where you compare both dyno numbers and driving impressions:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118803

The linked thread is the only thread that I've seen so far with a direct head-to-head between EFI and the Arizona intake with Holley carb, using both dyno numbers and seat-of-the-pants driving impressions. Thanks for writing it up.

As with anything on a car, its all about the tuning done after the part is installed. Just bolting on a 4bbl carb, SUs, or FI will give mixed results. Its the work done after that makes or breaks the setup. A well tuned 4bbl carb setup is better then a poorly tuned FI setup and vice-versa.

I have the SU set-up off a donor motor - seems like alot of "junk" on it to me. I want clean and simple - smog/emmissions are not an issue. Was thinking 280Z efi, holly carb or the original SU carbs without all the junk. My main problem is figuring out the linkages for the two SU's.

How do you post/attach pics?