HybridZ

Smoothe rear end vs bumper....

tightywhitey185

So ive seen many Zs out there with 240 style rear bumbers and i would love it on my 260Z but im also toying wit the idea of welding sheet metal into the releives and filling them togofor thesmooth no bumper look for the rear end.Someone toldme though it not might be legal and i could get pulled over.Cmon i doubt a cop would really give a damn or know the fact that it should have a factory Z bumper.What do you guys think

I'm in San Diego, and I was harassed twice within two weeks- in two separate areas of town no less!

I was in the process of filling the holes and painting over the stock chrome on my 240 bumpers. Front was done, and back on the car. I had a weird defect in the paint on the rear and it was still off the car, pending a sanding and repaint.

If you do decide to forgo the rear bumper and fill the holes, you're kind of stuck. Unless you want to re-create those indentations... Catch my drift?

For now, try removing the bumper without filling the indentations. Run it this way for a while, if you're asked, the bumper is temporarily off for "paint"

YMMV, and good luck.

I worried more about getting rear ended with no bumper (like the stocker would help at all!) than I did about getting a ticket, so I welded in a piece of thick wall 3x3 tubing between the frame rails as close to the rear sheet metal as possible. I haven't been stopped yet for no bumper, but AZ is alot more lax than other states.

So ive seen many Zs out there with 240 style rear bumbers and i would love it on my 260Z but im also toying wit the idea of welding sheet metal into the releives and filling them togofor thesmooth no bumper look for the rear end.Someone toldme though it not might be legal and i could get pulled over.Cmon i doubt a cop would really give a damn or know the fact that it should have a factory Z bumper.What do you guys think
I prefer the look with the 240z bumper over the shaved look.

I liked the shaved front and rear also, but worried about the safety (some), so I welded roll bar tubing behind the rear and across the front. It probably is not as safe as real bumpers, but I am sure it will help if needed.

The rear section is between the gas tank and rear sheet metal and welded to the bumper mount section. The front section, I took the bumper mount sections and cut them so I could weld the tubing to them and bolt in.

I had it "suggested" to me by a highway patrol officer that I put my rear bumper back on, but I doubt anyone would know if you shaved the mounting points.

I'm personally partial to the smoothed one piece bumper, but the re-chroming is a little pricey from what I've read here.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a question, has anyone done a write up or how to for shaved bumpers?

I think the main problem i'm having on getting started is how, Should i cake in the bondo? Cut out the indentions and then fiberglass over them? Weld sheet metal?

A good step by step guide would be nice, that or I just cant seem to find the ones out there :(

Heres a question, has anyone done a write up or how to for shaved bumpers?

I think the main problem i'm having on getting started is how, Should i cake in the bondo? Cut out the indentions and then fiberglass over them? Weld sheet metal?

A good step by step guide would be nice, that or I just cant seem to find the ones out there :(

Best route is at least welding in patches over the indentions. Bondo "caked in" is sure to crack over time. If I were to do it again, I would cut out the entire panel and just weld in a new piece of sheet metal.

Best route is at least welding in patches over the indentions. Bondo "caked in" is sure to crack over time. If I were to do it again, I would cut out the entire panel and just weld in a new piece of sheet metal.

Then I guess my next question is the type of sheet metal and thickness to go with. Sorry I have little to no experience with welding, except a tig welder and horse fences.