HybridZ

3.5 L L-6 Engine Particulars from Carboy, 7/83

Tony D

I was perusing the collection of Carboy magazines on the back porch (last half of 1983) and ran across an article in the 7 or 8/83 issue regarding the 3.5L L-6 Engine, along with a photo of thecrankshaft.

Crankshaft appears to be billet, full circle, and is 90mm stroke.

The stated capacity on this build was 3434cc's.

I'm not sure on the bore, but it was either 90mm or 92mm. I ran across several articles and either bore was mentioned (someone can do hte math and repost below, I suppose).

I'll rty to get these PDF'd over the weekend, there is not a lot of particulars, but it is showing that there were in existence before the L-Engine went out of production for hte domestic market, a viable 3.5L kit out there.

Curiously, the photos of some of the boring shots revealed that indeed they did do sonic testing, and then made a decision on overbore based on the thinnest wall section encountered. In general, on a 7.0 mm wall thickness, they would take a 2.3mm bore. Doing the math it looks like they wanted to retain around a 5mm wall thickness after boring was done. And this is on an engine without liners. There are some articles in the mags from the period regarding Toyota Engines with liners and some really crazy displacement changes form OEM 1600cc offerings...

But now at least one article has been located, I'll try and get some pdfs made over the holidays and get them posted / hosted someewhere.

• 2 years later...

It's right up there on my priority list with 'turn in the $25,000 of outstanding expense reports' and 'turn in premium time from March to November 2011' I think... <_<

Now that you have necro-bumped it (think about the implications of that word...) and I'm refreshed on what issue it's in I can at least know where to find it again whenever I am home.

OR....

Someone may want to configure a Yahoo Japan or E-Bay search to auto notify if that issue comes poking up... I have a fear I was reading this at someone else's house because I didn't get there until 84... and I've had a falling out with the guy who would likely have had that issue. :angry:

Come to think of it, I'm going to send an e-mail to Mr. Okamura now on this issue and see if he can find it for me in Japan.

Haha, it's kinda funny. I thought this was a new thread at first because the high-displacement extra stroke L motors came up recently in a thread here. I thought this was Tony's response, but instead it looks like tony's response to the same issue.... THREE YEARS ago... And some noobs wonder why people get mad...

Haha, it's kinda funny. I thought this was a new thread at first because the high-displacement extra stroke L motors came up recently in a thread here. I thought this was Tony's response, but instead it looks like tony's response to the same issue.... THREE YEARS ago... And some noobs wonder why people get mad...

LOL...maybe at another forum where the answers go bac another 6 years, perhaps?