HybridZ

Project Turbo LS1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does go in for about 1/2 inch pictures dont really do it justice I will let everyone know how it works. It will be a while before I fire it.

The sharp cut you have right at the inlet to the turbo disturbs the flow. Turbo manufacturers have told us that they want nice even flow velocity going into the turbo. Target is something like a 1/2 a meter of straight length to develop uniform flow but since that's usually not feasible we have to rely on CFD (computer simulation) to find a good compromise ... or borrow from NASA :) Try with and without and see if you see any difference. If you dont see any difference the only thing may be a degradation in turbo life - cant hurt to test and see what you find. Internet search and you will find stuff on diesels using flow straighteners and claims of performance.

Cameron

So heres an update with the car... I finally got it drivable and took it out for a spin. Car miss fires like crazy! and will sputter pretty much the entire time while driving. Hard to say what it is but I think its ignition related. Possibly my plug wires. Whats funny is, if I give it a little more throttle it'll get through the missing and run smooth for a sec. I'm going to try a new set of plug wires, and also see if I can borrow a maf to try. Kind of disappointing, But I at least accomplished my goal for the weekend and got the car running. :)

any news on how the car is running ? this project has me excited! cant wait to see a video with boost =)

Okay, so I think I have narrowed down the stuttering problem to one of my O2 sensors. I hooked up the HP tuners to the car and sat down with it to do a little diag. I found that bank 1 O2 is stuck at .1v and causing the fuel trim to max the F out. Injection timing for bank 1 was 4 times the p/w of bank 2. So whenever the car was in closed loop, it would jump WAY too much fuel and the car would bog. This explains why the car would run better when cold, and would eventually run smoother if I gave it more gas. I have ordered up some new O2 sensors and hopefully will get them by the end of the week so I can throw 'em in. I also got my 2nd fuel pump, and 60# / hr. injectors so those will be going in the car this weekend as well. Along with a larger fuel line. I also ordered a 2 bar Map sensor for when I convert the car over to speed density. I also got me a screw in IAT, so I have to weld a bung unto the IC pipe as well. Luckily I have a 4 day weekend this weekend so ALOT of stuff will get done. If my O2 sensor come in, I'll try to make a driving video with some cool noises for everyone. :wink: