HybridZ

Building a work/welding bench

proxlamus©

So I've been designing plans to make a welding table and work bench and I've been contemplating on the materials I should use..

I can build the frame out of angle iron or square tubing... then I started thinking...

Could I build a frame out of small exhaust tubing?! I mean round tubing is much stronger then square tubing... and ALOT cheaper if I go to my local muffler shop.

For the table top I was thinking maybe 11g sheet metal... but is there anything wrong with this idea?!

Oh.. POST pics of benches you've made!!!

I have seen many welding tables constructed of wood/metal.

I have always wanted one with a mesh top and a recess so the sparks and crap mostly go down and don't burn the hell out of me. I am obviously not talking about Tigging.

I don't see why round tubing wouldn't work. How much weight are you gonna pile on this thing?

Evan

I built mine out of an old metal office desk and added casters. If you look around they can be found cheap and are heck for stout. Where else can you get the drawers and all for less than scrap steel prices.

If you are building a legged table, I always used a piece of 3" angle stiched welded down one side to work round pieces, ex pipefitter welder.

Industrial shelving cut to the correct height and then a 1/2" steel plate as the top. I've got two of these in the shop, one 3 x 6 and the other 4 x 8. Helps to have a forklift to set the plate.

I once found a 5' x 10' x 1' surface plate with screw adjustable legs that was mine if I would just haul it away. There were 2" deep, 3/8" threaded holes all across the surface in a 2" grid. Unfortunately it weighed 23,000 lbs and I had nothing that could move it.

I once found a 5' x 10' x 1' surface plate with screw adjustable legs that was mine if I would just haul it away. There were 2" deep, 3/8" threaded holes all across the surface in a 2" grid. Unfortunately it weighed 23,000 lbs and I had nothing that could move it.

The one I typically use at work is 4'x8'x1" carbon steel plate with legs made of 4" sched 80 pipe, and what a wonderful bench to work on. Shame you couldn't get that one home, I'd kill to have a bench like that in my garage.

So I've been designing plans to make a welding table and work bench and I've been contemplating on the materials I should use..

I can build the frame out of angle iron or square tubing... then I started thinking...

Could I build a frame out of small exhaust tubing?! I mean round tubing is much stronger then square tubing... and ALOT cheaper if I go to my local muffler shop.

For the table top I was thinking maybe 11g sheet metal... but is there anything wrong with this idea?!

Oh.. POST pics of benches you've made!!!

If your not in a huge rush i might be able to come up with some ridged metal 2" conduite peices for you stuff is way strong might take a couple months to get a couple like 4' pieces. then you would have to swing by to grab it

sorry, havent got any pictures of my workbench NOT covered in carparts, and projects in various stages of completeness :o

but, it is a wooden frame, made out of some pretty solid peices of 2x4

It has a shelf running along the middle, and drawers (from an old freezer)

on one side, and my air hose on a reel on the bottom shelf under the drawers.

the vice is bolted to one side, and the bench grinder on the other.

the top is a couple of 2 inch thick hard wood planks.

at the moment all the welding is done in the vice, but im knocking up a new sub bench that has a top made out of industrial flooring grate.

had one similar when i learned to weld at school.

my tips on a work bench? make sure its heavy.

nothing worse than a bench moving around as you bash and bend things on it, bolt the bench down if applicable.

also, make sure you have plenty of power outlets ON the bench, i have 4, but 8 would be nice.

if you have wood, and are welding in a vice, make one of the mount bolts really long, you can clamp your welder earth onto that, out of the way.

with a metal grate bench, you only need to rest your work on it and you have a circuit.

If its a metal grate bench, make sure you have a flat plate on it too, makes a damn good scratch pad, good for getting your arc welder rods prepped.

also. make a provision to keep your consumeables close by, my tube of TIG rods sits nicely on the back of my bench, within easy reach without even lifting my helmet.

I made a pretty neat table this year. I found an elevator door (stainless top), and welded 3" exhaust pipe on the 4 corners. Came back and braced the legs with square tubing and also added gussets to the legs. Turned out pretty nice. I'll try to gets a pic of it and post it up.

JT

One thing to keep in mind when building a steel top table for welding, the top itself needs to be at least .125" thick (.250" is much better) or it will bend/warp under welding heat. Over time the table top will not be flat anymore and it will be hard to weld items square/level/plumb.

I built a portable one for a shop I worked for out of wood, them covered it in 3/8" diamond plate.

I got heavy duty castors from http://www.penn-elcom.com/

They do mostly entertainment/road case hardware (that's my background), but I always use their castors and extrusions. They're just about EVERYTHING resistant (oil, chemical, fire, etc.), have great weight ratings, and are very well built.

I might even have a few of the 5" lockers, and a few feet of their aluminum extrusions, around if you're interested.