HybridZ

Replacing glass with Lexan, Question

So you just don't want a rear window at all? well it's going to be noisy, smelly, and you'll probably look over your shoulder at wherever you park the car when you run in to grab something. 

Drag is almost irrelevant because the hatch area is a low pressure zone and the s30 is a brick anyway. 

What would happen, if I remove the rear window, and keep the aluminum louvers on a fiberglass hatch?

Would that create more or less drag?

(BTW, I don't drive in the rain... on purpose)

I'd imagine carbon monoxide would become an issue.  If the gaskets around tail lights can stink up the interior with exhaust smell, I'd hate to imagine what it would be like without a hatch window.  I don't really understand why you wouldn't want a window there?

Edited by tyson

Not sure about a street car but we've done this on a couple of race cars. One was under car exhaust, which always stunk up the car with a window, side exhaust (V8), and a rear exhaust.  Keep in mind no side windows or quarter windows in these cars.  Car was a lot cooler inside and no exhaust smell.  One of these cars ran a rear wing and the other two ran rear spoilers.  I never felt any air coming in from the back on these setups.  I'm guessing since there were no side windows the air either reached equilibrium or what would have stacked up inside the hatch was let out.  

If you had side glass and it was up then I think you'd have a massive problem.  My current race car project will probably not have a rear window because it is so much cooler inside this way.  

Hope that helps,

Cary

• 2 years later...

Technology has advanced since the initial post. I didn't feel like starting a new thread if one with decent info already exists. So does anyone have more experience with Lexan on street cars? Im about to have my seals replaced and they can't guarantee that the 40yr old glass won't crack. So while I'm at it, I wouldn't mind going Lexan to shed some weight. My main concern would be being scratch resistant. I polish my windshield heavily once a month so I don't mind maintenance at all. But if we're talking DEEP scratches then I may just stick with glass.