HybridZ

Wideband Info

attworth

I'd like to purchase a wideband o2 sensor and start fiddling in the tuning world. I've never messed with anything like this, so I was hoping for a good, knowledgable start.

Can anybody provide me with any information or a book I could pick up to read up on these things?

What about brands/types of widebands?

Thanks all.

I like the innovate system as well.

If you want to learn more, I would spend some time on the Innovate forum.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I've got the LM-2 system and I'm a noob with WB. It is a very good tool.

Their software is free to download on their website with some examples if you want to check further more.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php

It also depends as well of your needs. Do you want one to get logs once in a while, be able to help friends, permanently in the car with a gauge, etc.

Are you going to use it on specific engine/ECU? Some Ecu softwares are compatible with only some brands/models.

It also depends as well of your needs. Do you want one to get logs once in a while, be able to help friends, permanently in the car with a gauge, etc.

Are you going to use it on specific engine/ECU? Some Ecu softwares are compatible with only some brands/models.

Thank you for the links.

I wouldn't mind getting some logs every once in a while to help keep track of how things are working. It'll probably stay in the car full-time unless I get another project (doubtful.)

The plan for present is to use it in my 99% stock L28. That is until I can figure out where I'm heading with this project and pick up another motor.

Logs could be more than useful. If you do a WOT pull to check AFR at full throttle, you'd better look at the road and keep your hands on the steering wheels.

here is an example of what I've got with my setup (which will need some correction ;) )

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=183&u=11056344

Most likely a setup such as Innovate LC1 WB with a gauge would work well.

AEM WB would work as well. Those are very nice unit.

Logs could be more than useful. If you do a WOT pull to check AFR at full throttle, you'd better look at the road and keep your hands on the steering wheels.

Datalogging is more than WOT, the transients for snap throttle movements, decel, all sorts of drivability will register on a datalog and in some cases never display on the meter other than an average number. I would not waste my time or money on a pod style gauge unless it had datalogging downloading capability...and I don't know any that do, sooooo...

A datalog lets you concentrate on your driving technique so you know what you were doing during what particular phase of the log (I was gradually accelerating, etc) Throttle application and how it's applied can be tedious if you are troubleshooting or concentrating on trying to get rid of a specific drivability issue. Then you review.

That advice about keeping your hands on the wheel while driving made me think of something funny>

My favorite thing in a dyno session is play 'spot the noob'---the guy with both hands on the steering wheel intently staring ahead...

What's the point, if a strap breaks at WOT and 4500+ rpms, all having your hands on the wheel will accomplish is bending your wheel when you hit that concrete wall 4 feet in front of your nose...

You can tell guys who run on a dyno tuning vechiles a lot, they are sitting halfway askew so they can have the laptop accessible, and spend more time watching the WBO2, RMP and modulating the throttle/dyno controller.

Even to this day, JeffP will occasionally put one hand on the wheel during a run, and trust me he hears no end of grief about doing it!:ass::mrgreen:

Datalogging is more than WOT, the transients for snap throttle movements, decel, all sorts of drivability will register on a datalog and in some cases never display on the meter other than an average number. I would not waste my time or money on a pod style gauge unless it had datalogging downloading capability...and I don't know any that do, sooooo...

I fully agree with your comments ;) I was giving an example thou.

A friend was advising me a regular WB with no RPM reading for instance. I did not follow his advice, I'm glad I made the right choice ;)

The Innovate LC-1 is WB where you plug a gauge to read it. You can also datalog with it. I haven't chosen this route, I don't know how it works precisely.