HybridZ

Suspension for the rest of us...bolt on options

actually tein did just this year have a special order suspension service. its aimed toward older cars, you send in your stock suspension assembled and they work with you to customize it. heres the link http://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/spd.html

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I think there are enough Z owners on here to make a group buy worth it for bolt on, preshortened suspension with height and dampening adjustability...I already emailed tein to see what type of information they need and would love to see how many people are interested in getting this off the ground...

Thank you CD1105!!!!!!

So if I get this right a basic non-adjustable spring setup is going to run 518 per corner? That doesn't sound like such a deal to me.

Where did you get that from out of curiousity?

If all you want are springs/struts go with this from BetaMotorsports: This is what was originally recommended to me by the man himself. $570 all 4 corners. Deal.

Datsun 260/280Z Illumina Advanced Handling Kit (ILK254)

$570.24

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I think there are enough Z owners on here to make a group buy worth it for bolt on, preshortened suspension with height and dampening adjustability...I already emailed tein to see what type of information they need and would love to see how many people are interested in getting this off the ground...

Thank you CD1105!!!!!!

np happy to help ;P. I was thinking the same when i first thought about moding my Z( the swap in coilover) and to my surprise tein just released this service. i would appreciate it if you they contact you back you can share the pricing information, along with the specs of the coilover your considering purchasing.

10. Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)

+ 1

That is outstanding information- but I am not looking to make a race car out of the Z. Its just a streetable fun ride that may see some drag/autox events but I am looking for adjustability in height for fitment and stance. The dampening adjustment doesnt really concern me as much as it would a professional driver

For this forum that may be considered to be "rice" particularly with the grassroots guys, but at Datsuns become more mainstream as they have in the past few years its good to have an option for presectioned struts that dont cost 3600 bucks (i know theres more to the kits) that give you that "Street" adjustability....

That is outstanding information- but I am not looking to make a race car out of the Z. Its just a streetable fun ride that may see some drag/autox events but I am looking for adjustability in height for fitment and stance. The dampening adjustment doesnt really concern me as much as it would a professional driver

For this forum that may be considered to be "rice" particularly with the grassroots guys, but at Datsuns become more mainstream as they have in the past few years its good to have an option for presectioned struts that dont cost 3600 bucks (i know theres more to the kits) that give you that "Street" adjustability....

My point in sharing that site was that you can get Bilsteins or Konis for about $100 or $150 per corner, Ground Control coilovers for $100 per corner, and section the struts yourself or haves someone do it for you and save a couple grand and get a better end result. All you have to do is find someone who will section the struts for you.

You can build a "street" suspension for the car for less then what I charge for the complete strut kit. I've done a few for customers and typical pricing is roughly like:

1. Shortened struts (customer supplied) $500.

2. Tokico HP shocks (non adjustable) $250.

3. Coil over kit (threaded collar, upper and lower spring perches) $200.

4. Hypercoil springs (150F/175R) $320.

5. Assembly using customer supplier upper spring insulators. $350.

So the price is around $1750 for all four corners but that doesn't include rear wheel bearings, seals, spindle pins, camber plates, and some other stuff. That's about as reasonable as it gets.

So the price is around $1750 for all four corners but that doesn't include rear wheel bearings, seals, spindle pins, camber plates, and some other stuff. That's about as reasonable as it gets.

That is VERY reasonable, although you can get the coilovers and springs from GC for $399. It's all this little stuff (and camber plates too) that adds up. If you think that this is not work the extra money, read some threads on replacing wheel bearings or pulling spindle pins. They're a bitch and a half to swap out and the bearings are freakin expensive.

Like all things either you pay now or later.

If you are doing something make sure its done right. Unless you have all the 'other' things that John includes you'll be pulling it apart later and doing the install over again.

My point in sharing that site was that you can get Bilsteins or Konis for about $100 or $150 per corner, Ground Control coilovers for $100 per corner, and section the struts yourself or haves someone do it for you and save a couple grand and get a better end result. All you have to do is find someone who will section the struts for you.

Any recommendations for where to shop for Konis. I can't seem to find anything under $200/corner + $25/per for the gland nut.

Koni had a big price increase earlier this year. They fought the declining dollar as best they could but once most of the US stock was sold, the new stuff coming in went up. Before then I was selling Koni's to folks in Europe because the US prices plus shipping and duty fees were cheaper then buying the shocks locally.

Before then I was selling Koni's to folks in Europe because the US prices plus shipping and duty fees were cheaper then buying the shocks locally.

How DARE those filthy euros take advantage of our fragile economic infrastructure like that!!!!!!:cry2:

/sarcasm off