HybridZ

S30 AeroCatch Hood Pin Install

240hoke

Hey Guys,

I just got done mounting these Aerocatch Hood pins and I thought I would post up a few pictures/ writeup. I love these things!

Im using a Race On USA carbon fiber hood which I was previously using with the factory hinges and locking mechanism. After installing the VQ I had to remove the factory latch, these pins fit the bill for a replacement

To start off I had to decide where to mount them. I initially wanted to install them in the "conventional" place up closer to the cowl. However after looking at where the pins would have to be I decided against it. Having the pins there would necessitate cutting into the frame of the hood, added to that with everything packed on the firewall with the VQ I thought the pin mounts would get in the way. I decided the best place for me was on the fender supports right in front of the inspection lid....

After measuring where they would be I layed out the location on the hood and traced the cut out with the patterns provided in the kit. I went in far enough so I would not cut into the frame of the hood

DSC_0175_Medium.jpg

I started the cutout with a hole saw at each end and then used a carbide bit on my right angle die grinder to cut the rest out...worked really good. There isn't much room for mistakes since the mounting holes are pretty close to the cutout so I took my time here.

DSC_0176_Medium.jpg

Once I had the hole cut I layed the hood on and made a mark on the fender to allow me to align the pin mounts. I made the pin mounts from a piece of 1x3 rectangular tube.

DSC_0163_Medium.jpg

With the mount in place and and double checked I tack welded the mount

DSC_0166_Medium.jpg

With the hood back on and the catch in place I marked the pin holes with a small drill bit through the catch and then removed the hood for the final drilling. Mount all painted and in place...

DSC_0187_Medium.jpg

Since I have a carbon hood I used some SS wood screws from the hardware store to mount the catches. Also since I am still using the factory hinges I had to trim the hole a little bigger in the catch to allow the hood to swing without the pins catching.

DSC_0181_Medium.jpg

Enlarged hole:

DSC_0201_Medium.jpg

A few finished pics:

DSC_0180_Medium.jpg

DSC_0191_Medium.jpg

DSC_0198_Medium.sized.jpg

I might hit them with coat of paint to match the flares and bumpers but Im happy with the outcome..I think this is a well made product and a great alternative to conventional pins.

Very nice, I might do this with my VQ swap too. It really looks nice all closed up. Tho I was thinking I might move the stock hood mount to the upper corners on my hood, and possibly add a second stock latch to the other corner. This is a thought, we'll see when I get there, but your setup just like your engine instal, is very nice, and very well done. :D

Phar

you beat me to it! lol. I was thinking about using this on my hatch as well instead of the push button.

My only concern (that I could not get an answer from the other person I know that has these installed) is.... Do they rattle when driving? I've had several hood pins on my Z and I can't stand going down the freeway with the damn hooding vibrating with the play in the pin. I almost resorted to welding springs on the back side of the hood to keep it from doing so.

If you can give me any feedback on this much would be appreciated. Everything from their website seems to imply a very snug tight fight meaning no rattling and play.

-Ed

Yup I did this last year on my ZX on my BetaMotorsports CF hood. I then painted the hood white to blend with the car, so it does not look like a CF hood at all. My friend who manages the body shop that painted my CF Betamotorsports hood suggested I make an aluminum plate in the shape of the Aerocatch "cut-out" to reinforce that area where the Aerocatch mechanism actually bolts into - which makes sense. I have yet to do, but may tackle that this weekend.

Here is a quick pic of mine:

The hood when I received it from John Coffey BetaMotorsports

238365574.jpg

238365581.jpg

Aerocacth installed:

323459451.jpg

323459443.jpg

323459440.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread Austin!

Yasin

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I havent checked this thread in a while...to answer the rattling question: As long as you have everything adjusted right it should not rattle at all, mine doesnt. I am using new factory bumpers on the cowl and I adjusted the pins so they hold it tight against them.