HybridZ

Swapping My LS1 into another Z!

Progress made today! Got some insulation down on the floors, firewall and driver rear quarter today. i just have to do the passenger rear quarter and the hatch area and I am done. Two pics of what it is looking like in the car:

612417584_6jVXB-L.jpg

612417350_RDG8T-L.jpg

This hopefully will help aid keeping the heat out the car, which was the worst part about my first car...always hot! I think it is looking good and cant wait to be done with it. The rest of all the panels will be installed and then comes the dash!

Finished up the installation today and glad to be done. Just take your time and be an art student to get all the small body panels. You can see in the picture but I have some of the material all the way down into the quarter panel and under the tool door lid. Don't mind the white wire I am running in the car, that is to rewire the brake electrical system so I can use the Euro tail lights. See here for how to do that in your 240Z:

613210012_xvkL9-L.jpg

613210102_T3xLs-L.jpg

Next step is finish running the wire and then get the vapor tank up and get some hoses. Once that is done and installed I can finish putting the panels in. I ordered heater core hoses and a few other small things. Now need to order bumpers and finish the brake lines, fuel lines and a get the dash in!

Clive,

I have not been watching your build closely enough. Wow. It looks great! Nice work. This car will be so much nicer then your other car, looks wise. What is that sound insulation you are using? Did you use any dynamat under it?

Keep the updates coming. I subscribed to the thread so I will be watching.

Great JOB. I want to see it in person.

• 3 weeks later...
Clive,

I have not been watching your build closely enough. Wow. It looks great! Nice work. This car will be so much nicer then your other car, looks wise. What is that sound insulation you are using? Did you use any dynamat under it?

Keep the updates coming. I subscribed to the thread so I will be watching.

Great JOB. I want to see it in person.

Thanks Dave! It is ebay special insulation, more to keep the heat out than noise.

I have been slacking on updates:

The car turned over yesterday for the first time since late Spring! This week I plan to get power to the FP and have her running. Plan for this week is to also finish up the rear brake lines.

Dash is back in the car and finishing up last over the wiring.....Joe has been the lead on that. Also while I was out tracking his v8 Z, he was kind enough to install my diff. The TTT q45 mount had to be slotted in the rear and re-drilled. Reminder to self (tighten axles bolts) :-D I got head lights working and marker lights. Honestly, wiring isn't that hard if you take your time and have someone yelling at you! :lol:

Speaking of which, I need to grind down the driver side mount of the JCI kit....way to close to the alternator!!!!!!! I will try and take some pics this week.

:lmao:

Clive has the best friends! How does he keep them close? Hijack their car, race it, and don't give it back until they finish yours! Nice!

Clive's turbo Z build is coming up soon. I better go install another kill switch in my car, pronto!

:lmao:

Clive has the best friends! How does he keep them close? Hijack their car, race it, and don't give it back until they finish yours! Nice!

Clive's turbo Z build is coming up soon. I better go install another kill switch in my car, pronto!

Well the car came back with a full tank and got washed the day after. Also got a camera mount as a thank you.

Joe didn't make it up to the track, so he got the mount drilled for me @ his dad's house. The shop I took it to didn't want to touch it after I told them what car is was for.

Your turbo car is safe! I want mine running by.............o who am I kidding.....no more dead lines! :-D

Today she started up and ran! Louder than I can remember but it was sweet music to my ears. Took awhile to remember where the hell the crank angle sensor was.....had to break out the LS1 book. Also in changing my fuel line setup....I installed the pump backwards at first....had no pressure in the rail of course. Got that switched and everything was good to go!

Note to self: Pink wire from PCM needs to go the the blk/white wire from the back of the ignition switch. Can be spliced in right before fuse box. This is your 12v source during the cranking process. Also grey wire for the fuel pump needs to go to the green wire that goes from the front pasn side of the car back to where the harness comes out by the tank. This is your power source for your external fuel pump if that is going to be used. Wire colors are for the Speartech setup or labeling.

Next job is to get the brakes done and bleed....clutch line....same thing. Might be able to take her down the road this weekend! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Getting there guyz...slow but nicely. Joe is still yelling!!!!!!!!

BTW, Paul...intake is coming soon. Sorry for working so slow!

Joe is still yelling!!!!!!!!

I think I'm being pretty calm for the pump in backwards, I can't find the crank angle sensor that is behind the headers at the back of the motor, all of the connectors are connected, alternator wired backwards, and the black/white wire isn't working because the battery cable is loose! and that was just yesterday!!

Now when you use the dremel to cut the trans tunnel your really gonna hear some yelling!! :lol:

Correction, the started was wired backwards......upon finding that out I corrected it but didn't tighten down the nut because I could not reach laying on my back cause there is no lift to use. ;) That fixed the blk/white wire issue....no biggie.

Crank angle sensor......yes took sometime to find but even the book was wrong on its location.

I am off to pick up some partz and my dremel!

• Administrators

BTW, Paul...intake is coming soon. Sorry for working so slow!

No problem Clive. Glad to hear you got it running. :2thumbs:

I think I'm being pretty calm for the pump in backwards, I can't find the crank angle sensor that is behind the headers at the back of the motor, all of the connectors are connected, alternator wired backwards, and the black/white wire isn't working because the battery cable is loose! and that was just yesterday!!

Now when you use the dremel to cut the trans tunnel your really gonna hear some yelling!! :lol:

Now thats funny.. :lmao:

22-10296.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

Damn, sounds like Joe needs some help over there. Joe, should I bring my own chair?

BTW: Clive, don't forget that the wires I soldered in the rear quarter could be crossed. If your tail lights don't work right, you need to swap two of the wires (black w/ red stripe) I think.