HybridZ

Swapping My LS1 into another Z!

Clive, for the hatch mount plates, I have a large peice of 3"x3"x1/8" cold rolled steel angle iron that when can carve the plates out of. Or I have a chunk of 1/4" aluminum plate we can use. Either will work. I figure with a hacksaw, drill, vice, hammer, tap, about 15 minutes per side with some cleanup time on the bench grinder and a can of paint.

The plates need to be about 3"x2" with two tap holes and two clearance holes. They need about 15 degree bend in them which is easy to do on a vice with a hammer.

part2_thumb.jpg

Bolts finally came in, so it was time to install the Fast 90/90. Really like the way it come out, just needed to plug a hole in the back of the manifold where the PO drilled and tapped it.

651022997_JPaHZ-L.jpg

Still have to do more trimming on the fenders and air dam for clearance for the front wheels.

This is my update for now...o yeah...she started back up!

I was thinking the same thing. I'd flip. Although, I don't think it's okay to lean on someone else's car period.

Z fenders are really flimsy. Easy to put a dent or dimple in.

Most car guys know not to lean on cars. Just not a good habit to get into.

Hey Clive...nice lookin ride!

And btw...I saw car #13 today! :) You have no idea how awesome it was...part of the first boat of Z's to arrive in the U.S. and the first ever to be sold...it was seen for the first time in over 30 years today...

#13?! I thought #16 was the first. Story on this? Where was it?

I was at a Z show in CT, and a local member is the owner of #13 and #171. They unvailed #13 today. I forget all the details, but this is apparently the creme of the crop. I have pictures on my phone of the vin tag, and I checked the firewall and the door sill, all of which have the #13. It was amazing.

Thanks Jeff for the pics......

Adam #13 must of been something to see. I think the story behind the car is cool and being the lowest vin sold to the public. From pics I know the car was saved from a JY like 30 years ago.....it was made 5 months before my 70 car ;)

Dave, tell me about being careful now with the car painted. I know it will be tracked but I would like to keep the paint looking nice....miss the primer car! lol

Front bumper mounted today.....rear bumper finally came today!....all gauges work! Glass was installed front and rear. I plan on towing the car to the shop to nut and bolt it because I found a few nuts and bolts loose from few months back when I was swapping from the old car. First drive is coming soon.

I have to thank, Joe...Jeff...Amiel...and Alex for coming by on Friday and lending a hand. I know Cygnusx1 (Dave) is coming by tomorrow to lend a hand with the hatch.

I'll be there in the PM. Got a big car show in the AM. We will need a grinder, hacksaw, drill, metric taps, hammer, torch...drinks....food. My fenders were pin straight for six years after the paint. Then came the turbo swap...now they look like a mogul run at Killington. When they get bad enough, I'll cut some fender louvers into the fender tops like the old race cars had.

Ok, so we took a little longer than Dave thought (not 15 mins a side) but here is another Z note for everyone: the reason my first mounts didn't have enough material vs the one Bartman had in his hatch write up is.....I cut the mounts from a series 1 240z hatch and the mounts needed needs to be from a later hatch. If you ever get two of them side by side, you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Anyway this is what we came up with today:

656005153_BR7VK-L.jpg

Little gap on top of hatch

656005470_3nfCd-L.jpg

I think that is caused from the CF hatch molding and not much I can do there...mounts and all are slotted. Last idea I have is to slot the hinge itself that mounts to the body.

Pasn side, little bit of a gap too:

656005746_rRbAw-L.jpg

Overall I guess the hatch isn't too bad. Not going to fit like factory but we shall see how close I can get it.

New look with the front CF bumper mounted:

656004612_ehdFR-L.jpg

Another update to follow.

Ok, so we took a little longer than Dave thought (not 15 mins a side) ...

If we were working with machinists tools rather than carpentry tools.... :icon56: Paul, I'm sure you use a 25foot tape measure for measuring all your head work, and port and polish with a hammer and chisel, right? LOL. The car does look great. The red and carbon theme carries right through the whole car perfectly. Clive should be an exterior designer!

• Administrators
If we were working with machinists tools rather than carpentry tools.... :icon56: Paul, I'm sure you use a 25foot tape measure for measuring all your head work, and port and polish with a hammer and chisel, right? LOL. The car does look great. The red and carbon theme carries right through the whole car perfectly. Clive should be an exterior designer!

Picturing Dave standing at the entrance of the shop, arms crossed with that look a Dad gives his son… :toetap05:

“Clive! Put the sawz-all down and step away from the car! Go to your room and draw the pretty picture, Joe and myself will do the work!” :lmao:

Picturing Dave standing at the entrance of the shop, arms crossed with that look a Dad gives his son… :toetap05:

“Clive! Put the sawz-all down and step away from the car! Go to your room and draw the pretty picture, Joe and myself will do the work!†:lmao:

:lmao:

I wish, the car would have been done already! Joe likes watching me work and then goes in the house while I work. I think he does it so I can keep coming to the house everyday :icon45:

BTW...The sawz-all is a great tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

picturing dave standing at the entrance of the shop, arms crossed with that look a dad gives his son… :toetap05:

“clive! Put the sawz-all down and step away from the car! Go to your room and draw the pretty picture, joe and myself will do the work!†:lmao:

roflmao!!