HybridZ

CV adaptors

Guest mongrel

Guest mongrel

I´m about to make CV halfshaft adaptors for my 240z and I would need some advice on how thick i should make them. Has any one made a pair of these.

I think 150$ (modern motorsports) for a pair of adaptors is way too much, mine won´t be as trick though.

/Peter

Ya, it's 280s that need the adapter -they have a different stub axle. The 280 stub is reputably stronger than the 240, so some folks are replacing their 240 stubs with 280s, THEN they have to get an adapter to fit CV shafts. Personally I'm going to wait until I start breaking U-joints before I go through the pain of CV shaft conversion. Some individuals with righteous knowledge of racing and suspensions are running 10's and 9's on U-jointed axles.

I think it was Mike Kelly that said that it's hard to tell just when the 260Z went to the larger 280Z stubs.

If you have connections, and can get them cheaper than what Ross does them for, go for it. But he also can set you up with the adapters welded very nicely to the 280Z companion flanges.

i tried installing 280zxt cv axles with 240 stub axles in my 280 but put the 280 axles back in cause the sway bay links rubbed on the cv boots.do the cv boots rub with the cv adaptors on the 280 stub axles?i have a set of the adaptors but havent used them yet.dont want to change suspension set up on car -it took 3 years of track time to get it the way i like it.

Guest mongrel

Tanks alot!

I didn´t know there were 2 versions of stubaxles, well I guess thats what research is for...

So the stubaxles and the CV axles bolt up and fit with just a little trimming?!

What seal do I need? From a ZX?

The reason for all of this is I´ve got graet deal on a R200 with Cv axles, I´m now running R180. /Peter

Well I have a buddy that has done the conversion, so I guess if he can't tell me or show, I will either be spending some money with Ross, or not going to CV axles.

Actually, when I turbo the 260 CV axles are a must. I guess I could take the drawing to my machinist and see what he says. I will look into a "group price".

I thought I would save a buck or two and have my set made, well it ended up costing pretty close to what MMsport charges. It's up to U, if you know a good machine shop and someone that works there, go for it...

I did have a problem with the emergency brake cables chewing up the boots on them, been there, done that, kinda thing...damm..

html>

Guest mongrel

Thanks for all the info.

The swap doesn´t seem to be inmanageable and the web page had great info, I think I´ll givit a try.

Oh one more thing, is there a difference between turbo and non turbo CV axles?

Well, that picture did seem a bit oftoppic...