HybridZ

240z 5-speed transmission

soullessjdog

240z's did not come with 5 speeds. They came with automatics and 4 speeds. 280z's and 280zx's came with 5 speeds mabey late 260z's I'm not sure. Anyhow i see 5spd go anywhere for 20$-120$ depending on condition and if the seller feels its worth.

In the U.S. the 240Z either came with a 4 speed manual or 3 speed auto trans. If you do happen to have an early 'A' type non-US monkey motion 5 speed then there are people out there looking for them that would probably pay a little more of a premium.

Its a 240z five speed a- type because its not a borge warner trans the case looks like a early 240z case but there's a fifth gear and there short im doing 60 at almost 3k in fifth. I only ask because i mite sell my l28et and the trans to do a rb or sr engine in my car. If u know someone that mite be intrested in buying just point them to me.

Its a 240z five speed a- type because its not a borge warner trans the case looks like a early 240z case but there's a fifth gear and there short im doing 60 at almost 3k in fifth. I only ask because i mite sell my l28et and the trans to do a rb or sr engine in my car. If u know someone that mite be intrested in buying just point them to me.

that my friend is a 280z trans...one of the previous owners must have swapped it out..if you were in driving distance to nashville tn i wouldnt mind having it...if it was at a really good price....other than that i would say put it on craigslist or ebay...i just seen one go for 100 or so....

Huh?

This bodes not well...

So you are absolutely certain that you have a '69-'71 FS5C71-A, never sold on a Z in the U.S., monkey motion 5 speed transmission that looks exactly like this?

5806.jpg

Here's the link to the page that I borrowed this image from: http://www6.airnet.ne.jp/~magic-as/2008mfw/71a2008/fs5c71a-overhaul-end.html

I highly doubt it, but it isn't impossible.

I'd bet you've got a FS5C71-B or other late model 5 speed from a '77-'83 Nissan 280Z/X

They look more like this:

shinytransmission.jpg

So you are absolutely certain that you have a '69-'71 FS5C71-A, never sold on a Z in the U.S., monkey motion 5 speed transmission that looks exactly like this?

Roadster Transmission, anybody?

I mean, S30-6225 has one, but it's a Fairlady Z...

Doesn't mean they didn't come in by the containerload from JDM parts brokers in the 80's...

Yes, that's why I tried to choose my words carefully because I knew they came on the Roadsters and people have fit them into S30's with some parts swapping. They were also available for purchase as a sports option back in the day.

Well, now that we know what it is I guess others can chime in with what they think it might be worth.

Worthless without ratios known.

Get the ratios sorted out by counting revolutions, and then you will know what it is, wether it's a Z 'Sports Option' part (in reality, just a JDM application for a truck or some other vehicle) or a Roadster unit, or someting with truly interesting gearsets.

They are all listed in the old Nissan Motorsports Catalog, and you can determine it from there.

Biggest thing would be to determine if fifth is overdrive or direct-drive. That will peak interest immediately as it separates the wide ratio boxes to some more race-specific close ratio gearsets.

P&PG helps as well in eliciting information and constructive commentary.

It could still very well be a Roadster transmission. Even though they were shorter and had a different bellhousing, the tailshaft, tailhousing and bellhousing could be ordered from Nissan and swapped to make it work in the S30 chassis.

Post # 52 on this page has info copied from zhome.com that shows all of the part numbers needed for this swap.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103512&page=3

I'm hoping perhaps Tony D can chime in (they don't call him wiki for nothing), because I don't know much about the roadster transmissions, but it seems they had their own range of 'A' type Options gearboxes and/or gearsets.

-edit- FS5C71-A transmissions; found on 2000 Sports roadsters had 0.852 5th gear -edit-

-edit- F5C71-A transmissions; both Option 1 and 2 had a 0.852 5th gear. -edit-

From some quick research it looks like the dogleg Z car '77-'83 options 'boxes are F5C71-B, or 'B' type, so your transmission wouldn't be one of them.

Do you happen to know the rear end ratio in your car?

By gum, its gum!!!!

You need to put the trans in fifth and get a ratio by turning the crankshaft and having someone watch the driveshaft and count. If that is too much trouble for you (it really is a bit more of a PITA than it sounds) then count the ratio of the rear end out, and let us know what the RPMs the engine is at in fifth with the vehicle at 50 mph.