HybridZ

LS1 upgrade decisions...

I'm a heads/cam/intake kinda guy as you really don't 'need' more than that in a light weight Z to have a boat load of fun. More than enough to get into trouble with.

Where can you do a custom turbo or blower setup for $3500? (thats what reasonable aftermarket heads, cam, and intake/TB would set you back)

I'm a heads/cam/intake kinda guy as you really don't 'need' more than that in a light weight Z to have a boat load of fun. More than enough to get into trouble with.

Where can you do a custom turbo or blower setup for $3500? (thats what reasonable aftermarket heads, cam, and intake/TB would set you back)

TFS assembled/cnc ported/650 dual springs/pushrods/ $2500

harlan roller rockers $420

cam $400

LS7 ported/blueprint oil pump $150

LS2 timing chain $100

GM head gasket/ head bolts $150

FAST 90MM throttlebody/ intake $1300

LS7 lifters $100

it all adds up...

i am new to this z car thing but i have been going fast for years,i would build a nice bottom end ,good set of heads ,nasty cam and intake and put a little blue bottle in the back ,call it a day! by the way trickflow is not the only company that has ls heads.

i am new to this z car thing but i have been going fast for years,i would build a nice bottom end ,good set of heads ,nasty cam and intake and put a little blue bottle in the back ,call it a day! by the way trickflow is not the only company that has ls heads.

i know......but i prefer trickflow.

TFS assembled/cnc ported/650 dual springs/pushrods/ $2500

harlan roller rockers $420

cam $400

LS7 ported/blueprint oil pump $150

LS2 timing chain $100

GM head gasket/ head bolts $150

FAST 90MM throttlebody/ intake $1300

LS7 lifters $100

it all adds up...

I know you can do the h/c/i for that price, but turbo or blower? Not likely for $3500 unless you do all the fabrication yourself like ColtGT4g63 did. Off the shelf or custom by a shop will run much much more.

I dont know to much about the LS1 but I have helped a friend do his LS1 swap a lot so I am always hearing him talk about future plans... He said something about adding LS6 heads and a big cam, all for close to 1000$? and adding a decent amount of power? Dont quote me on that, and thi LS1 is carbed so it may be simpler.

you can pick up stock LS6 heads on the LS1 forums for like $4-600 and a cam for $250-400 (used at 250, new 400) so its possible.

Some nice ported LS6 heads are only about $1k with upgraded valvetrain and flow a good CFM for med/large cams. North of 400rwhp is possible with ls6 heads and a matched cam.

you can pick up stock LS6 heads on the LS1 forums for like $4-600 and a cam for $250-400 (used at 250, new 400) so its possible.

Some nice ported LS6 heads are only about $1k with upgraded valvetrain and flow a good CFM for med/large cams. North of 400rwhp is possible with ls6 heads and a matched cam.

Keep in mind that a cam swap also requires changing the front balancer seal, and the front timing chain cover gasket, and new crank bolt, as well as new valve springs to accommodate the higher lift cam. ( if you want to do it the right way ) Also, the new heads should get new head gaskets and new hardware for installation. This adds a little bit more but could still be done close to $1,000. With completely stock ZO6 heads, and an average sized cam I was able to make 411hp. So its very doable.

The LQ9 in my 240Z has;

6.0 LQ9 Ironblock

ARP rod bolts

LS6 Intake

TSP CNC Milled heads http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=649&catid=40

TSP MS3 Cam .600 lift http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=170&catid=44

Dual timing chains

and makes 420WHP and 390Ft-lbs. Thats basically heads, cam and intake (Granted a 6.0L).

I'm going to add a lightweight flywheel, because it's going in a track car but, that will negatively effect torque.

• 3 weeks later...

gonna do some brake/ suspension upgrade before adding more power...

1. AZC front brake set up

2. AZC coilover kit

3. MM rear brake kit( 240sx calipers/ 31 rotors)

4. MM 280zxt CV conversion

then if my budget is enough....maybe some (F)17x9-13 ®17x9.5-19 RB-R's