HybridZ

Using Pathfinder and ZXT axles to install 30 spline Nismo LSD kit (56k!)

hughdogz

Just like the title says...my good friend Bryan is almost finished with the project (sorry he's not on hybridz much at all). I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my 260z. Hope this may help others that have a similar idea. Although the project is not 100% complete, we are 99.9% sure this will work...

First of all, you need a set of 1990 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 front axles. There numerous aftermarket sources, but Bryan found a company called EMPI that offered the largest diameter axle:

axle 002.jpg

Here are the main components: The R200 diff from an '83 ZX (with the Nismo CLSD installed), and the 5-bolt companion flanges that came with the kit (note there are right and left hand sides that differ in length). The top CV axle is from a 280ZX. The lower CV axle is from the Pathy (note it has the 5-bolt CV cup).

The center assembly is the hybrid CV setup:

axle 006.jpg

From another angle:

axle 009.jpg

The length of the hybrid axle has to roughly match the ZXT CV:

axle 014.jpg

axle 015.jpg

Step 1) take the Pathy axle apart to use the inner portion of the axle like so:

axle 016.jpg

"Big hammer" is needed because of the internal snap-ring / retaining clip:

axle 019.jpg

Step 2) take apart the outboard side of the Z CV:

axle 028.jpg

However, notice there are some retaining "tabs" that need to be removed before you can remove the bearing sub-assembly from the ZXT shaft:

axle 031.jpg

Be careful, this was just a practice one...you may need some help (or just hold off) if you've had a few beers already, but you get the idea :icon14:.

axle 037.jpg

Here is the disassembled ZXT CV:

axle 041.jpg

Both sides so far:

axle 045.jpg

Step 3: Take the Pathfinder axle to a resplining shop to be resplined for the 280ZXT bearing assembly. Alternately, you could get the ZXT bearing assembly resplined to match to the Pathy axle (Bryan is opting for the former).

Hope this helped Guys...

Later, -hughdogz :icon29:

ps: I believe that for an S30 setup, you can use the piece off the hub to adapt it to the S130 / Z31 CV.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I never considered that fact. I can see what you mean, there could be a clearance issue for S30's (sorry for the poor quality pics of my nasty 260Z R180):

S30.jpg

The issue isn't as concerning on the S130 rear-trailing arm setup:

S130.jpg

Sheesh! I don't even know what to say now. :icon50::cry2:

What is the reason for having a re-spline? Is the wheel end of the shaft spline larger than the tripod spline? If that's the case, I have a part number for a tripod that's a larger splined area. These were used when Thagard figured out how to make up a hybrid axle for the use of the 88 SS VLSD on the s30.

This larger splined area tripod may be the answer to using this axle??

fotoflexerphotopl9.th.jpg

Re the incorrect spline count at the tripod end - check the size I found on my 4x4 shaft were I was playing with this setup (not in the car so not sure about the clearance issues) that the 300zx 4 bolt setup would replace the wheel end of the shaft. See here for my findings.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132252&highlight=cv+shaft+length&page=4

post 61 has pics of the other setup not the 5 star but the same applies just the tripod is replaced with a 5 star as the 4x4 with the 5 star has the same size and spline at both ends of the shaft (well it does on the 4x4 shafts I found). If you read over the thread in the link above I start talking about this from post 20 on wards.

So are you saying there is another one of these axles you can source that comes with the tripod with a larger center bore/splined area that will replace the one shown in this pic?

axle%20045.jpg

This is what I was meaning (locally in the US due to marketing etc you might not have this same issue as I found here in NZ). I found there are two types of front 4x4 shafts - those for the V6 and those of the 4 cylinder powered Pathfinders and D21 (as stated this is locally here in NZ anyway). One has the 5x1 star setup at the diff end of the 4x4 (V6 models) and the other has the tripod setup (4 cylinder models) both have the same outer CV = same spline/shaft size at that end. Here are some pics for reference

606012-01.jpg

666051-01.jpg

Now it just so happens that CV end we don't want to use on either of these shares the same spline/size as the 4 bolt 300ZX CV. So what we can do is build 2 types of hybrid shaft - depending on what you require at each end.

I also found out that the 5x1 shaft actually has the same spline/size at both ends so this does open the opportunity of building an axles with 5x1 at both ends if need be.

So if you require a 3x2 (6 bolt) setup at the diff end (ie S15 HLSD output flanges etc) then use the 4 cylinder axles as the donors - you can put a 300ZX 4 bolt on the other end this is what I did in the thread I linked to above.

If you want a 5x1 (5 start) setup at the diff use the V6 shaft. Again put a 300zx 4 bolt on the other end and you have another hybrid axle.

Now what I have not worked out is if a tripod/tripod setup can be build. But it is possible to build a tripod/5x1 setup using the 4 cylinder shaft - remove the CV that goes to the wheel end of the 4x4 and replace this will a 5x1 star end and you will get a tripod/5x1 axle. You can also build an axles with 5x1 star at both end - requires the V6 alxes with the 5x1 at one end already just remove the wheel end CV and replace with another 5x1.

Those are the combo's that I have work out will work with the correct ends and shafts. I am going by memory but I think it is something like this (I can check tonight when I get home from work)

V6 = 29 spline on 31mm shaft at both end

4 cylinder = 29 spline on 31mm shaft at wheel end and 29 spline on 30mm shaft at the diff end.

Both shafts are the same length.

Great info! Thank you hughdogz & NZeder! :cheers:

So the remaining issues are the 5 bolt flange clearance and overall shaft length?

I'm this --><-- close to tracking down and purchasing the required parts. I found those EMPI pathfinder axles at autopartswarehouse.com for $100 each (no core since they're new parts). No experience with that company though.

Pleased my info has been of use so far - that is what this site is all about sharing info/idea's :icon15: plus this is a hybrid axles so the info should be here :icon14:

So this brings us to the clearance issues. My question is this then. If MMS sells a kit for installing a late shortnose R230 into the rear of a z that you have to make a hybrid axles from the shaft supplied with the kit and 4 x stock axles for the 6x1 at the end then these must have clearance issues also? But as this solution work maybe there is not an issue with this setup? This needs to be confirmed as the differences between the R200 and R230 might be enough to remove the clearance issues.

Yes, Im in the same situation, this is what I did, I installed an r200v internals from a s14 into my r200 long nose housing, also intalled the r200v halfshaft and in the other end 280zxt flanges, now the problem is I cant find center bars to fit this install, the 280zxt center bars are too long, now I was working on a 99 pathfinder and notice that the front axels are also 6 bolts tripod style and they are shorter that my 280zxt, but I dont know how much shorter, moser whats like 500 bucks for the center bars, is there another solution to this???

Hi Joel,

Yes, we need to respline the (larger diameter) Pathfinder axle to fit the 280ZX tripod bearing.

That would be awesome if you could provide the P/N (or which vehicle) for that larger tripod bearing.

If it fits, the mod should be a piece of cake! (no resplining needed). I would think a couple of those larger bearings would be cheaper (and possibly stronger) than resplining.

I'm assuming that the axles / splines are case-hardened (or maybe nitride treated). I'm not sure if repsplining shops treat them again as standard procedure...

You guys Rock!! :2thumbs:

(Sorry if I missed something obvious)

Thanks, -hughdogz

What is the reason for having a re-spline? Is the wheel end of the shaft spline larger than the tripod spline? If that's the case, I have a part number for a tripod that's a larger splined area. These were used when Thagard figured out how to make up a hybrid axle for the use of the 88 SS VLSD on the s30.

This larger splined area tripod may be the answer to using this axle??

fotoflexerphotopl9.th.jpg

Yes, Im in the same situation, this is what I did, I installed an r200v internals from a s14 into my r200 long nose housing, also intalled the r200v halfshaft and in the other end 280zxt flanges, now the problem is I cant find center bars to fit this install, the 280zxt center bars are too long, now I was working on a 99 pathfinder and notice that the front axels are also 6 bolts tripod style and they are shorter that my 280zxt, but I dont know how much shorter, moser whats like 500 bucks for the center bars, is there another solution to this???
So you are looking for a tri pod - tri pod is that correct? As stated I found the pathfinder with the tri pod at one end and the wheel CV at the other have different size spline at each end with the tri-pod smaller both have the same spline count (can't recall the number). The axles with the 5 star have the same spline and size at both ends so it is possible to put 2 x 5 star or 2 x 300zxt 4 bolt cv on either end.

So if we can find a larger tri pod ie shares the same spline/size as the 300zxt or 5 star/wheel cv end then you can have tri pod to tri pod or for hughdogz a solution for him without having to get either other pathfinder axles or re-spline the ones he has.

Here is the box the last larger tripod I bought came in. I have a eBay contact that sells them to me. If we need some, I can try to get a decent price on them if no one else can...

10000767470129dh9.th.jpg

10000777486843ej3.th.jpg

This part was a part called out by James Thagard in a post way back, giving out the parts needed to make up a hybrid axle when you use the 88 SS VLSD diff in a 240z.

Well, unless someone else can get these, looks like they are NLA. I emailed my source and received this info back from him....

" Dear rb26powered74zcar,

I called Empi, this item has been discontinued.The only thing we can do is sell you a rebuild kit( rollers and bearings) for 44.95 from another manufacturer(part # 174-50 )let us know what you would like to do.

- thecvman "

10000777486843ej3.th.jpg