HybridZ

Using Pathfinder and ZXT axles to install 30 spline Nismo LSD kit (56k!)

hughdogz

Well, unless someone else can get these, looks like they are NLA. I emailed my source and received this info back from him....

" Dear rb26powered74zcar,

I called Empi, this item has been discontinued.The only thing we can do is sell you a rebuild kit( rollers and bearings) for 44.95 from another manufacturer(part # 174-50 )let us know what you would like to do.

- thecvman "

10000777486843ej3.th.jpg

Bummer alright - that might explain why I could not for the life of me find the part number on a EMPI catalogue. I did however find the spline counts for the 4x4 and 300xzt - 27. The tripod is also 27 spline just on a smaller diameter.

The issue is looking on CV suppliers sites/catalogue to find out what size the 27 splines are on - this is almost impossible.

But I can confirm the following axles have 27 spline at one end at least (no idea on the diameter or length of the axles and what is used at the other end - this is how I found the 4x4 axle I took a punt and purchased some second unit so I strip and find out what was at the other end etc)

Nissan 4x4 Pathfinder and D21/WD21 (2 types of axles ones with 5x1 others with tripod)

Nissan Altima 93-up

Nissan Maxima 89-95 DOHC

Nissan Cefiro 3.0L 96-99

Nissan Maxima All (85-88)

Nissan Stanza Wagon (86)

Look at the CV part pic etc looks like the Maxima DOHC has 27 splines on both end of the axles but no idea on the shaft length but we know the 4x4 shaft is approx the correct length.

The best solution for a tripod at one end and a 5x1 star at the other is to do the following

Purchase some D21/WD21/Pathfinder 4 cylinder axles with the tripod at one end already EMPI part number = 80-4703

Remove the wheel end CV and purchase some EMPI replacement CV for the 5x1 of the 6 cylinder from the D21/WD21/Pathfinder partnumber = 87-9096 (NI243) this will make a 5x1 and 3x2 axle much like the one I put together but I used the 300zxt 4x1 not the 5x1.

All this info about CV spline count etc was from the EMPI catalogues and time in the evening looking over them :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I found out last night that the Pathfinder axles will NOT work.

The re-splining shop in Portland (Dutchman) at first said there would be enough material in the 31mm dia, 30 spline Pathy axles to respline them to a 30mm, 29 spline.

My friend Bryan said that when he called them back, they said they needed to make him new Cro-Moly axles (which are even beefier than the 31mm ones) but it will cost him $750 to get them "out of Jail" :-(

I guess our ony hope now is to somehow find those EMPI 87-7801-0

10000777486843ej3.th.jpg

All said and done, this LSD ends up costing about $1500+ to purchase and install

• 2 weeks later...

I guess our ony hope now is to somehow find those EMPI 87-7801-0

10000777486843ej3.th.jpg

I found out that these come from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl: http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/vlsd.htm

I wonder if we can buy the whole new shaft and just use the 87-7801-0 piece, or else find one from the junkyard to fit the pathfinder axles?

Sorry if this is totally dumb but, cant you use the Q45 axels and the Pathy axels instead of the expensive custom ones ? or is the spline count on the pathy axels dont match . Im trying to find an alternative to the Z32 LSD I want to put a R32 GTR carriage in my long nose R200 but the GTR LSD is 30 spline 6 bolt output shaft like the Z32 ...

• 1 month later...

You mentioned earlier the possibility of:

"Alternately, you could get the ZXT bearing assembly resplined to match to the Pathy axle (Bryan is opting for the former)."

Did he ask about this alternative, or was it a similar story, not enough meat to make the cuts?

• 5 weeks later...

I've bought two of these 80-4703 axles to play around with. It's very easy to make two axles into one with the 5 bolt tripod both ends. The only real "modification" that's required is to cut a snap ring groove into one end of the axle. I still need to take measurements to see if making an outboard adapter is feasible.

Not sure about running tripods on both ends though. Doesn't seem to be something people do much and I suspect there's a reason for that...

Not sure about running tripods on both ends though. Doesn't seem to be something people do much and I suspect there's a reason for that...

I believe this is due to the lower angles that the tripods support so having tripods at both ends would not allow much movement.

tripods typically have around 15-18 degrees of movement were as the Birfield setups (typical 6 ball bearing CV joint) has 40 degrees. A Double Offset (used on the wheel side of the Z31 300ZXT axles) is around 23-25 degrees.

Hope this helps

That does help. Confirms some of what I've been reading lately. Those angles are still greater than what U-joints can handle, no?

These joints will probably wind up closer to one another than the stock u-joints, so there's another thing to measure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Joel,

Yes, we need to respline the (larger diameter) Pathfinder axle to fit the 280ZX tripod bearing.

That would be awesome if you could provide the P/N (or which vehicle) for that larger tripod bearing.

If it fits, the mod should be a piece of cake! (no resplining needed). I would think a couple of those larger bearings would be cheaper (and possibly stronger) than resplining.

I'm assuming that the axles / splines are case-hardened (or maybe nitride treated). I'm not sure if repsplining shops treat them again as standard procedure...

You guys Rock!! :2thumbs:

(Sorry if I missed something obvious)

Thanks, -hughdogz

I hate to stir up the pot again, but if this can help, well I'm all for it. I saw this auction on eBay, which shows a pic of a tri pod roller bearing that looks like what we may be able to use (IF it's the larger one).

I don't have the exact info, but I'm hoping one of you smarter than I folks can take this a run with it. The picture of the tri pod looks promising...

This is what I do know:

This is a pair of 1g AWD Turbo shafts

DSM 1G Turbo Shafts AWD Front, Laser, Talon, Eclipse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230359726826&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

%21BW5gv%28%21BWk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm,8SUBKZkU5%29yFw%7E%7E_1.JPG

• 7 months later...

From what I've read I think that it's likely that at least you'll be able to assemble it that way. Putting the pieces together from various posts, the spline count on the pathfinder axle and the z31 cvs should be the same. I've been meaning to buy a set of z32 axles to disassemble see what works, but don't have enough parts on hand to experiment.

From what I've read I think that it's likely that at least you'll be able to assemble it that way. Putting the pieces together from various posts, the spline count on the pathfinder axle and the z31 cvs should be the same. I've been meaning to buy a set of z32 axles to disassemble see what works, but don't have enough parts on hand to experiment.

Which Z32 parts are you referring to? I have a new pair of the Z32 center bars if thats what your talking about. Since I'm part of the cause here, I'll give them to you if it helps in solving this bad nightmare...

As you can tell from my picture I have a set of Z31 axles and I took the differential side cups off a set of Z32 N/A axles. What I don't know is are the splines that the cups slide onto the same between the Z31 and Z32?

Also,will the length be correct?

I plan on trying this weekend.

Edited by zpizzaman20

I think you will find the Z31 axles will be too long. Remember that Z31 has the diff plug in at the end of the axle were as the Z32 setup requires that 6 bolt end to connect to the plug-in that are in the side of the diff. Now all the plug ins I have seen (with flanges ie 3 x 2 or 5 x 1 or 6 x 1) all stick out at least 1.75" so I think you will find the Z31 axles way too long.

This is why I got the Pathfinder axles (which I need to have new C-Clip grooves cut into them then I can install and confirm 100% if this is working solution

Don't know what happened in this old thread but there used to pics of the trial setup I did

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/65177-300zxt-cv-issue/page__hl__cv%20shaft%20length__st__60

Looks like I will have to get the C-Clip grooves in ASAP and get some new pics once I have these assembled once and for all.

Edited by NZeder

• 8 months later...

I think you will find the Z31 axles will be too long. Remember that Z31 has the diff plug in at the end of the axle were as the Z32 setup requires that 6 bolt end to connect to the plug-in that are in the side of the diff. Now all the plug ins I have seen (with flanges ie 3 x 2 or 5 x 1 or 6 x 1) all stick out at least 1.75" so I think you will find the Z31 axles way too long.

This is why I got the Pathfinder axles (which I need to have new C-Clip grooves cut into them then I can install and confirm 100% if this is working solution

Don't know what happened in this old thread but there used to pics of the trial setup I did

http://forums.hybrid...0length__st__60

Looks like I will have to get the C-Clip grooves in ASAP and get some new pics once I have these assembled once and for all.

I'm going to drag this old thread back up.

I believe I read in one of the threads on this subject that the V6 Pathfinder axles (center bar) have the same diameter and spline count on both ends and they are the same as the 300ZXT. If this is the case would it be possible to take both CV ends off the 300ZXT axles and use them on the Pathfinder axle?

Based on the pictures I've seen this setup will most likely be too short but fabbing an adapter for the wheel side of this setup would be relatively cheap and easy.

Has anyone measured and posted the lengths of the center bars of the various axles we're experimenting with?

Wheelman