HybridZ

Possibly Fixing my old wrecked 240Z??

JSM

I'm thinking about tackling my wrecked 73 240z. Both frame rails are bent and possibly the entire body is tweeked a little, I haven't confirmed this yet.

I'm ruling out doing a tube front end for now.

I may be able to get my hands on an early 74 w/ a good front clip.

• How would I go about grafting the two cars together?
  • Will it be straight? (I know dependent on my skills)
  • Is it worth the effort? (I'm hoping to get the 74 for $75.00)
  • Where would I make the cuts to ensure it will be strong?

Thanks for any help.

Not a job for the inexpierienced with welding and frame repair. It really doesnt make much sense to repair if you have a good donor shell.

If you really need to know go to www.i-car.com site and search for unibody sectioning. It should list general info that is applicable to most cars. Front body sectioning is a non recommended repair procedure as far as todays manufacturors go.

As I recall, your windshield broke, which usually means your windshield frame is out of shape, which, to me, means your car is not fixable. Personally, I'd strip it, keep what's good, junk what's not, and just get another shell. It'll be less time and money in the long run, and probably drive better too. I've never heard of a wrecked car driving the same as it did beforehand...

you could go with a tube chassis which is the best way to go about doing something like that.....which you've already opted out....other than that its either send it to the frame shop or try your luck....just make sure you put reinforcement bars everywhere so the car don't crinkle up like an accordion if you ever wreck it again...or go with a donor car

Hi Jeff, I have to disagree with most on this subject. The z car unibody is a very simple disign and can be hacked and modified with great success. I rebuilt the entire front frame on my 240 with 3" .120 square tubing, not because I had to but because I wanted the extra safety and stiffness with a 7mgte turbo going in. It has made a huge improvement in the way the car feels. If you have a welder,chop saw and hand grinder you can fix that car yourself. You have another z car to take measurments from to know what your starting with. I think you can do it with the help of some people on this site. Good luck

Karl

Hi Jeff, I have to disagree with most on this subject. The z car unibody is a very simple disign and can be hacked and modified with great success. I rebuilt the entire front frame on my 240 with 3" .120 square tubing, not because I had to but because I wanted the extra safety and stiffness with a 7mgte turbo going in. It has made a huge improvement in the way the car feels. If you have a welder,chop saw and hand grinder you can fix that car yourself. You have another z car to take measurments from to know what your starting with. I think you can do it with the help of some people on this site. Good luck

Karl

Doing a front or rear clip on an old unibody design such as an S30 has been done many times over the years . What is important to get right is the type of cuts through the windshield pillars and making sure that the inner rocker reinforcement is cut in the correct location and welded correctly. The floor pan cut should not be in line with the inner rocker or outer rocker cuts . Making cuts in a straight line through a pillar or rocker puts the load straight through the weld joint. Windshield pillars should use an offset lap joint. Rocker and floor pan cut should also be staggered.

I thought the info would still be on the I-car site but a search showed they removed this information as it is old tech. If you need this info PM me and I can forward the info I have here at the shop.