HybridZ

Hood release cable

DeLorean

My $%*&ing hood release cable just snapped, probably because it is 6 degrees outside right now. Anyway, i did some searching and found a couple of threads about the subject. My question is, how do I actually replace the cable? I noticed MSA has one for 40 freaking dollars, which if i have to get so be it. Has anyone done this that can provide instructions and maybe even pictures?

My $%*&ing hood release cable just snapped, probably because it is 6 degrees outside right now. Anyway, i did some searching and found a couple of threads about the subject. My question is, how do I actually replace the cable? I noticed MSA has one for 40 freaking dollars, which if i have to get so be it. Has anyone done this that can provide instructions and maybe even pictures?

What model do you have? I have a 280zx cable you can have if it will fit just pay shipping and its yours (I will have to find it first)

I always forget to say what year the car is, don't know why. It is a 73. I do not know if the 280zx cable would work, I really appreciate the offer though. I'll look into it. I'm gonna go buy the longest screw driver I can find and go to work I guess.

I always forget to say what year the car is, don't know why. It is a 73. I do not know if the 280zx cable would work, I really appreciate the offer though. I'll look into it. I'm gonna go buy the longest screw driver I can find and go to work I guess.

or a trained monkey to climb up there

I have a spare 280z (not zx) cable.

I believe its just 3 bolts (I think, maybe 4) on the handle side and the actual release is held in like a throttle cable. Once the cable is loose on both ends, just pull it through the firewall from the cabin.

BTW which part of the cable snapped? If its the hood catch side and the "ball" broke off, you can just fix it with some lead solder and a pen torch.

edit: I think there is another plate that you to unscrew on the catch side to get the cable free. I need to go check, but I'm at work right now. I'll check to make sure at lunch :P

the cable snapped at the furthest point back, pretty much at the hood itself. I actually sourced a cable which should be here in a day or so. I'll try to get some photos of this process so that in the future people know what to look for....assuming I can fix it, haha.

Thanks for the help though, I will let everyone know how it turns out.