HybridZ

Subaru Rack Size Compared to Stock Z Rack

This is not a true statement. I found this from an earlier thread:

Read his words, thats not what is saying!

However, he measured his at about 597mm, mine I have measured at 604mm!

But my 1992 Legacy Rack looks awfully similar to pretty much every other Subaru Rack I have seen used by other folks on this forum!

It's probably wise on the whole to measure your rack and go from there, but the racks I have actually seen with my own two eyes, Legacy's, Forester's and WRX's and RX's - all seem pretty darned similar to me :-)!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, it wasn't a Wide-Body Camry,

The rack-end was from one of these things!

toyota_1986_tercel.jpg

1982-1988 Toyota Tercel, Manual or PS Steering,

The fellow has ordered on in for me, so should be able to provide some pics - but from memory, it was 145-150mm, 14x1.25 on both ends and rack side was flush, so this part together with the stock Z tie-rod ends should give you a "bolt-together"!!!

Sorry guys, it wasn't a Wide-Body Camry,

The rack-end was from one of these things!

toyota_1986_tercel.jpg

1982-1988 Toyota Tercel, Manual or PS Steering,

The fellow has ordered on in for me, so should be able to provide some pics - but from memory, it was 145-150mm, 14x1.25 on both ends and rack side was flush, so this part together with the stock Z tie-rod ends should give you a "bolt-together"!!!

Ok using all the websites I have found for tie-rod ends over the past 12 months and a bit of quick search. I found this info.

First looking at the sites I find the Tercel had two rack ends - depending on the model.

80-82 = Moog EV165 = 161mm long with M14x1.5 at both ends (not the 1.25 as stated above)

and

83-88 = Moog EV168 = 139mm long with M14x1.5 at both ends (again not the 1.25 stated)

Also for info the stock 240/260/280z (s30) tie rod is Moog ES2109R for RI thread and ES2110R for the LI Thread. They have a M14x1.5 for the rack end connection and M12x1.25 for the nut on top of the tapper which has the following specs .604 to 520 and they are 8.14" Long or 206.7mm for those who use the metric system.

Hope this clears some info up

Ok using the same site I thought I would just to a quick search for the specs on the Sub leg racks that Tony has.

90-95 use a inner tie-rod (rack end) with the following specs.

Moog EV257 = M14x1.5 at both ends they are 11.47" long (291.34mm)

So looking at this looks like the Tercel EV165 or EV168 depending on the length required will work with these 90-95 racks.

If others have info on the racks they have I am sure I can do a quick search and get a solution for you too.

Okay, so going from, 1.5 rack side to 1.25 outside Tie rod side, would the same inner tie rods work?

Sorry, disregard 1.25 - I was in a hurry and wrote that on the fly - it's 14x1.5!

Means you get yourself a mid 90's Subaru PS rack, those Tercel Rack Ends and your Stock Z Tie-Rod ends and bolt it all together, hey presto!!!

Miata rack is easier to mount and PS lines don't interfere with the crossmember as much and the ends are uniform and don't taper like the Subaru Rack, which means if you want to hack 15-20mm off each end and get the thread extended and thus have the rack length suit the Z inner LCA pivot points you can whilst still having lots of meat on the rack ends - you can do this as well to the Subaru rack, but the ends of the rack taper in, so very little meat left once you cut 15-20mm of the ends!

NOTE though, the Miata has different part #'s for the rack ends (or it could be the tie-rod ends) I had a good look at an NB (Series 2 rack) and stuffed if I could see the difference in length from left to right rack-end, but this could also be a consideration for ditching the Miata rack - probably better to hold one in your hands before it gets dismissed!!!

Means you get yourself a mid 90's Subaru PS rack, those Tercel Rack Ends and your Stock Z Tie-Rod ends and bolt it all together, hey presto!!!

Okay, just to be positive on this:

~93 Subaru Rack (legacy?) not the tercel rack.

The Tercel EV168 inner ends M14x1.5 both sides

My Stock S30 outter ends

Should work as a bolt on setup, right? I don't want to spend a lot of $ on this part if we're not certain.

Alternatively we can use the Celica EV167 inners and the Forrester ES3712 outers to work too right?

For the PS pump/reservoir, How about a Stock 350Z pump and reservoir, think those would work?

Thanks

Phar

Now I can't say this for certain, but all the Subaru racks I have seen posted on this site look pretty much identical to the 1993 Legacy rack I have - sure the WRX STI Racks may be quicker, but from the outside they look really, really similar!

Only way to know for certain is to go to a Subaru wrecker and pull out a bunch of racks and measure them all!

I have a 1993 Legacy rack because it was cheap and local wreckers didn't have anything newer than about 1995!

However - if your the Subaru rack you pick is 600mm approx in length, then you will be fine! and this is from where the rack ends meet the rack!

And to Clarify,

Looks like you have two options to "bolt" together a Subaru Rack and slap it into your Z!

Option1:

Parts Needed,

• 90's Subaru Rack (refer to previous post on length);
  • 1983-88 Toyota Tercel inner rack ends = Moog EV168;
  • Stock Z Tie-Rod Ends!

Option2:

Parts Needed,

• 90's Subaru Rack (refer to previous post on length);
  • 1984 Celica inner rack ends = Moog EV167;
  • 1999 Subaru Forester tie-rod ends = Moog part ES3712!

Keep in mind, these part #'s may be useless at your local parts stores or dealerships, so remember the year's of production of the specific part's you require just in case there part #'s are different!!!

Sorry I can't be more specific on exactly which Subaru rack to get - but my personal experience is with a 1993 Legacy rack, Wheelman's is with a 1999 Forester rack - they may be identical, I dont know!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
has this been accomplished on an L6? only saw the 350, but I'm wondering what solution there is for mounting a p/s pump to the l-series - replacement of a/c? Custom bracket with X donor pump?

You can use the 280ZX pump and bracketry. A friend used this with the subaru rack and it worked just fine.

Cary

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I fitted a Subaru legacy steering rack 2 years ago sourced from our local wrecking yard for about $40 from memory.Iwanted a pump with the same type V pulley as the s30,so chose one from a low mileage Hyundai Lantra ,which came with the mounting brackets and assorted pipework.As my 240 has an electric fuel pump, iwas able to mount the PS pump in the usual fuel pump location, bolting on an aluminium plate about 20mm thick and then bolting the pump bracket to that.A bit tricky lining up the pulleys and getting the threaded holes in the right place.I used the Hyundai remote steering fluid resevoir mounted under the right side inspection lid [ RHD car]I was aware the inner ball joints were further apart than stock rack,but thought i would try it like that anyway.The car is mainly a weekend cruiser,and is a dream to drive after the old heavy steering.It has shown no problems with steering geometry issues,even on fast bumpy corners.I shortened the Sub rods each side{not sure by how much or what they are called] and threaded to take toyota tie rod ends of a suitable length.There is an issue with one of the fluid nipples hitting the crossmember.As i didnt want to alter the crossmember at that stage,i modified the rack by cutting off the nipple and brazing on the upper side of the pinion housing.Very difficult to get it on in the right position as the rotary port area the hole goes into is narrow.I thought i might have a problem with the cast iron of this part distorting with the brazing,but when the unit was assembled and tested it was ok.I joined up the pipes and ran the pump in my lathe with the rack on the floor,no leaks.On fitting to the car i was ready to do some altering,but nothing needs it.

• 5 months later...

From what I have seen pretty much any Subaru rack from the mid-late 90's and early 00's are the same, externally anyways!

This is not a true statement. I found this from an earlier thread:

I did some more research and finally took the rod ends off my rack to measure them and here's what I found.

My rack is from a 1999 Forester.

The rack housing length is 18.25"

The rack length (part that moves back and forth) is 23.5"

The inner tie rod thread size is M14-1.5

The input shaft has the rough splines (I count something like 20 splines even though we thought it was 18).

It appears the following Subaru racks all use the smaller thread inner tie rod end. Might even be the exact same rack.

1998 - 2002 Forester

1993 Impreza

1998 - 2001 Impreza

1991 - 2004 Legacy

2001 - 2004 Outback

I'm a little confused by this list as sweetride2go said his rack is from a 1995 Impreza and the thread dimensions I found for the inner tie rod he used are the same as those on my rack. Maybe the length was different.

Followed this thread and purchased the tercel inner rod ends. M14 x 1.5 on each end so they were correct. Lo and behold when I removed the inner ends from the Subie rack and took off the tie rods both threads were 16 x 1.5. So, beware all racks are not the same. Rack length is the same 600 - 602MM but the ends are beefier for the larger thread (can't remember year or vehicle that donated the rack). Simple solution for me is to use the 280zx inners as they have the correct thread for me. May have to cut about 5mm off each side of the rack ends for optimum fit. Any one know the steering ratios of the subie racks? I'm assuming the sportier Imprezas have faster steering than Foresters.

Followed this thread and purchased the tercel inner rod ends. M14 x 1.5 on each end so they were correct. Lo and behold when I removed the inner ends from the Subie rack and took off the tie rods both threads were 16 x 1.5. So, beware all racks are not the same. Rack length is the same 600 - 602MM but the ends are beefier for the larger thread (can't remember year or vehicle that donated the rack). Simple solution for me is to use the 280zx inners as they have the correct thread for me. May have to cut about 5mm off each side of the rack ends for optimum fit. Any one know the steering ratios of the subie racks? I'm assuming the sportier Imprezas have faster steering than Foresters.

Just reread above about the 280zx inners being 16 x 1.0 thread. Can someone confirm this.