HybridZ

Small dog/puppy advice...

jbk240z

Hey Guys/Gals,

My wife, kids & I are considering getting a dog. We would like a small sized breed that doesn't shed much and is good with kids. We have been looking at yorkies and the maltese breeds.

Hopefully you guys have some suggestions and advice on what type of dog would be a good choice. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks for reading,

Jason

jbk240z

My girl and I have a red min pin / mix that is really cool. She has short hair and doesnt hardly shed at all weighs 12 lbs. She was easy to train and everything and has been a good dog so far. She is either on or off though, its pretty funny when she spazs out and drifts around the living room.

My folks have a pair of miniature dachshunds. They're lightweight (if you don't feed them too much), pretty easy going and the fur on the shorthair models is hardly noticeable, more like eyelashes. Plus, everyone wants to come pet them anytime you go out in public with them.

I've had a lot of dogs over the years, and to tell you the truth the best dogs I've ever had - the bestest buddies - have been either strays or pound dogs. Really, there's nothing like a mutt. If that doesn't appeal, be careful of purebreds of any kind as they're often so tightly inbred that they're prone to a variety of genetic conditions - hip displacia, behavioral abnormalities, joint and bone problems, the list is long. Very small and very big dogs tend to be short-lived as well. Best bet, talk to a vet about what breed might be best for your situation, in terms of their needs; some breeds are really "busy" (I'm thinking terriers), some *need* to work (think herding dogs of any kind), so on. And don't count out your local shelter; they often have detailed information about the breeding status of their animals. My local shelter (with whom I've had a fair amount of dealings) will get on the phone to all the other shelters around to find an animal to your liking. That way, you get what you need and save a life while you're at it!

i got my girlfriend a french bulldog for x mas 07..best dog ever! doesnt shed much..sleeps all day..great with kids!..only grows to 27 pnds...mostly an indoor dog..and doesnt bark all annoying like most of those rat looking dogs with the high pitch barks!..i recomend you get one!.....the dog is also a great chick magnet!

heres a picture of our dog Nismo..

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC000151.jpg

Im going to have to go with the Maltese the are really sweet dogs. They have a good even temperment and they dont shed at all but you have to get them groomed. My mom has one and she teaches piano lessons and it has never once came close to snapping at a kid and even if it does it isnt going to do much.

Whatever breed you go with, know where the dog comes from...

Talk to the breeder, ask about potential health problems with their dogs, some even keep detailed records of the COI (Coefficient Of Inbreeding - percentage of inbreeding in their line of dogs - try to keep it under 20%), make sure you meet the dam and sire (if available).

This may be the most difficult part - a good breeder will have an application for you to fill out. This application will ask specific questions about your family and the environment that the puppy will be in. The breeder should also perform an LER "Litter Evaluation Report"... what this does is match your preferences for the type of puppy and the environment he/she wil live in to the puppy that best fits your home and your family, and an experienced breeder can choose the best suited pup for you and your family...

I have gotten dogs both ways ... I found the breed of pup I wanted in a classified ad, went to see the pups, and chose the one that I thought would be best for my wife and I. It turned out to be a VERY expensive choice, due to all of the health problems the dog experienced (primarily inherited).

After he had to be put down, I began researching the my next pup (very quiet without one). I found a breeder I was comfortable with that had extensive records of her dogs,and did all of the things I mentioned. I ended up spending a little more money up front to save money later down the line.

Mutts can be great dogs too, but you usually don't have any history on them either

Anyway, good luck with the hunt :)

I have a cocker spaniel and he is great to have around the house. Personally, I can't stand dogs that are too small. He is about as small as I'd ever be willing to go. Still rambonxious at times being almost 13 years old, but lays around making a decent "lap dog" too.

Doesn't shed much at all, but he is light colored so whatever he does shed isn't nearly as noticeable compared to a darker colored dog.

He's a purebred, but doesn't have any papers to back it up. He is staring to go deaf, but I think that is probably a product of inbreeding.

Overall, I would recommend the breed to anyone that's looking for a smaller dog just because he's great overall. Definitely worth looking into.

Have you looked at the Boston Terrier? I really like that dog. My friend has two of them, and they are great with his kids. I like them because they are a small dog with tuff looks (like a mini boxer). Whatever you choose I am sure you will be happy. Kids love dogs, and they make great companions.

Pugs are great little dogs but prone to sinus and hip problems.

They shed, not a little, not alot, but rather CRAP loads!!!!!

And this is an understatement!

Great dogs though, wont get another, tooooo much sheding!

THe dang dog should have no hair in a week with what it can shed. It defies reason.