HybridZ

R230 swap kit...who is making one?

Jwink25

I am thinking of putting in a R230 in my 1971 240Z. I can not seem to find a LSD R200 anywhere around here. I thought someone here was, or is, making a kit to do this swap. What would I have to pick up at the salvage yard and what does the kit come with. Also, what's the price of the kit? Thanks! :D

To anyone with info one this... hail.gif

Jason Winkfield

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason,

I am planning (and have been for A LONG TIME) to ofer a kit, but have had several setbacks in other areas.

You will need the diff and 2 sets (4) INNER CV joints (some people have bought 2 complete sets of half shafts).

I should have something in the very near future.

Tim

If it's at a fair price I will buy one too. I will start looking for a R230 diff. I think I have seen some cars in the salvage yard that have them. Keep us up to date on how far you are on making the kit. Seems you have plenty of buyers lined up. Thanks!

Jason W.

Well, depending on how my eBay R200"LSD" works out I might be interested.

Hey, even it is what it says it is I could fix it up a bit and then sell it for 3X what I paid. smile.gif

And then go the R230 route.

I am a bit confused about the half-shaft comments you made above. It appears you are saying we would need four half-shafts. I'm guessing that means there is to be some "hybrid" half-shaft construction between two diferent types.?

I am a bit confused about the half-shaft comments you made above. It appears you are saying we would need four half-shafts. I'm guessing that means there is to be some "hybrid" half-shaft construction between two diferent types.?

Boobala,

The reason 4 shafts are needed are so that you can get two sets of the inner CV joint. You would need to use the inner CVs on the outboard side too. The shafts are trash at that point, new ones are supplied with the correct length. If you can buy the diff with out the shafts for cheaper and then just source some CVs that would be your cheapest route.

Tim

I'm not exactly sure which of the Z32s used the R230 VLSD, but here's one for pretty cheap.

http://www.sr20parts.com/parts.html#sr20parts

Z32 LSD differential

This is an LSD-equipped differential pulled from a '92 or newer Z32. It supposedly had a bad bearing, but seems to spin and work fine. New bearing set from Nissan will cost under 60-70 dollars. This unit should fit in an S14 with little work.

(images to be added soon)

Quantity: 1

Price: $120.00

Guest needwaymorespeed
Originally posted by Owen:

[QB]I'm not exactly sure which of the Z32s used the R230 VLSD, but here's one for pretty cheap.

http://www.sr20parts.com/parts.html#sr20parts

only the twin turbos had the r230 the na cars are r200.

I finished up my custom hub carrier it turned out awesome!! I can now run the complete rear end assy. from the tt. No more weak stub axles!!!still

have to shorten the stock 300 z half shafts and make a front diff mount then i can install it in my car.

I think this will be the ultimate rear end for an early z car. bigger ring and pinnion then a ford 9 inch, large cv half shafts ,11.5 vented twin spot rear brakes,viscous differential,no more stub shafts- replaced by the stock 300 z outboard cv shaft,ebrakes-very trick small drum brakes inside the 11.5 rotors,5 lug and I can run the deep offset wheels like the cobras without expensive wheel spacers,I added 1 inch per side to the cars track width. The best thing is its still independent and uses the stock suspension point for the strut tube and lower control arm, I like this over the corvette situp for the fact that if a halfshaft does break the tire is still

supported ,something about relying on the halfshaft for the rear wheels stability bothers me.

I need to take some pics and post just not real sure on how to post pics.

curtis

Update

Finally got off my @ss and got the parts to my machinist. He is making the CV adapter plates and also a solid driveshaft. With the solid driveshaft I can redesign my original front Diff mount to ensure that the T56 output and R230 input is perfectly aligned...thus no vibration.

I've already spoken to Speedway about the sideshafts, so as soon as the adapter plates are done I will call in the measurements and the shafts will be done pretty quickly.

Once I get the solid driveshaft from the machine shop, it will take me about a day to make a new front mount, at which point I will give it to my machinist to jig and copy.

Will keep everyone up to date.

Tim