HybridZ

Looking to do a V8Z...starter questions.

Hi everyone,

I just joined today and after reading posts untill my eyes started to bleed, I want to start with one question.

I'm looking at three different 280s. I am planning a sbc with a 4 or 5 speed conversion. Should I buy a 280 with a manual or will an auto trans. car be a good start?

I am looking hard at a 76 automatic trans. car because it has the nicest shell.

I do have 10+ yrs experience as a Nascar fabricator but I would like to keep this project kinda simple.

I do have the JTR book on the way as well.

Thanks,

Jay

I may be wrong but I think from reading here that the automatic 280Z may have the weaker R180 diff as opposed to the R200. But given the choice get the better body and get the diff later if needed. In the big picture if you're going to race this thing at all you'll want a LSD anyway and no 280Z comes with that.

Look in the driveline stickies, there is a lot of info and picts.

Thanks for the replies ppl. I am sure you will be seing more of me...

I saw on here somewhere how to tell the R180 from the R200 but if someone could tell me for sure....

Thanks.

Actually you want the Mid year 87-89 300ZX Turbo R-200 CLSD (Clutch type) the earlier 300ZX were not limited slip. They are hard to find and expensive and most will need new clutch discs unless you are lucky, But it happens, I found mine cheap. Also look at the Brute Force CLSD as an option, all you need is an open R-200 and install the Brute Force CLSD and your done.

There are some threads already here on this topic and R-200 CLSD in general.

Greg

The best thing to do is read. Find a member who is in your area and make friends and learn from them. Explore the forums as much as possible every day and have a PLAN if you are going to do something. Look at all of your possible options and then choose the one that is best for your build. There are tons of priceless information here and people willing to help out if you put in your best effort. The most important thing to do for a build/project is to have a solid plan from start to finish.

jeesh,

you guys make it complicated.

you can bolt auto vs clutch master cylinder back and forth. There is no difference in the car itself, only the parts that come with the car.

I'm swapping a stick 260 to an auto, and it takes about an hour to swap the pedal assembly if you are old, fat, and lazy like me.

You will spend a LOT more time fixing rust or crummy body.

All the diffs bolt in place back and forth, and the r200 with the 400 dollar OBX has been run to 500 horsepower or something stupid high.

The viscous lsd's are junk IMO.

stock brakes suck. coil over kits are stupid high priced for what you get, so make your own.

Look up my tater build.