HybridZ

engine rebuild? l6

philipl

hey just curious im rebuilding an l6 gonna get all new crank bearings and piston rings.old bearings look real good no real bad wear or anything cylinder walls still have cross hatching.all cylinder walls are within spec measurerd in several locations as well as all crank journals.everything looks real good can i just get STANDARD SIZE bearings and rings what do you guys think ....do i need to plastigage the bearings or anything?thanks phil

You need to search around here. Get the Book.

Book:

How to Rebuild your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine by Tom Monroe

How to Modify your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine by Frank Honsewitze

Get them in that order, and you'll have everything you need to know. If the crank is not scored, then follow the directions in the book for polishing the journals and figureing the bearing sizes.

philipl... by asking these questions, I'm assuming you've never rebuilt a motor? I suggest having a machine shop do it for you. Or if you are dying to learn, find someone very experienced to show you what to do on your motor.

To answer your question, if the journals look mirror smooth, you should be fine w/ standard size bearings. And yes, YOU NEED TO USE PLASTI-GAUGE.

dude dont listen to these guys telling you dont do it. ITs a fairly simple engine even if you have no engine rebuilding experience its fairly easy just get a machine shop to re hone or rebore the cylinder walls and get a friend to help you with cam timing and chain.

Having a book will be worth it.

Take your time and do it right, not really that hard, just cost money.

The more steps you skip the less miles you will probly get in the end.

As stated by softpz it is not a complicated engine, stock rebuild is not rocket science.

The only thing that might of got some guys going is that it is wise to use plastigauge, but you atleast knew what that was.