HybridZ

Unnatural Aspiration part 3

stony

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is the pan and pickup. its just a stock rb20 300z oil pan with a modified rb25 oil pickup. On launch all the oil is sloshing back and for 2 seconds it picks up air. Will be working on a better pan/pickup. and adding a accusump. 

• 3 weeks later...

SO the day has come.... Do i stick with the rb that costs 2500 to rebuild or do i go with  a 2j? 

Pros of 2j.

1. Can support what i"m doing now on a bone stock long block....Yes it can i have seen it done. 

2. If for some reason i blow it up i can go to just about any of the local pick and pulls and get another long block cheap. 

3. lots of local support. 

4. Stock rear sump oiling system can support 1000hp drag application without mods. 

Cons of 2j 

1. Initial expense if swap. Other then that cant think of anything else

pros of RB

1. Cool as ****!!!!

2. Can make good horsepower

3. Brand matches car (Nissan, NOT THAT I CARE) 

4. Can be sold to fund the entire 2J swap

Cons of rb

1. Huge lack in support in US

2. Major mods needed for rear sump applications for Hi HP drag applications. 

What am i missing?  I'm currently gathering parts to rebuild the RB then I'm leaning towards selling the setup turnkey including AEM with current tune (750RWHP) once rebuilt it will have a new crank, rods and thinnest HG possible to increase CR. This will help with power down low to spool turbo and hit Stall on the converter.

Thoughts? 

Your gonna find a 2JZ turbo long block in a junkyard?? Maybe an NA version.

Parts for rb26 aren't anymore expensive than a 2JZ or much harder to get from my experience.

Rb26's have made 800whp on stock pistons rods.. look at boozstedz's 300zx

I don't think it worth the hassle.. but that's just my opinion.

Yes turbo NA. Head flows better then turbo head. They are a dime a dozen in junk yards. 

When you say parts aren't cheaper id agree until you consider i can get a NA longblock at any pick and pull for 150 bux. Basically i"m talking a NA 2j longblock with good stuff bolted up to support 800 whp. if it blows...( i have a buddy that ran a junkyard block all the way to 1200whp before it bent a rod) break it down go get another long block and be back up and running. No rb26s in junkyards around here ;>