HybridZ

Anyone using the B D Racing Roll Cage off Ebay?

It looks like a "jegs" set up. That is a heavy cage. I have mine and its a 1 3/4x.12 which is for heavier cars. Most Z's use 1 1/2x.09 (if I remember right). Price is $399 for the DOM. I think you could do better getting the main hoop bent on your own and doing the mitering yourself and get a better fit for the same price.

jimbo

It looks like a "jegs" set up. That is a heavy cage. I have mine and its a 1 3/4x.12 which is for heavier cars. Most Z's use 1 1/2x.09 (if I remember right). Price is $399 for the DOM. I think you could do better getting the main hoop bent on your own and doing the mitering yourself and get a better fit for the same price.

Careful there, I think you're doling out SCCA specs, and Garrett is more of an NHRA guy. As I recall the specs are right for the type of racing the cage is designed for.

So you are saying your car is quick enough for a cage?

Haha, well theres no 2J under the hood yet so maybe I dont need one. :wink:

If the car can match its potential then it should see some pretty consistent action in the 10's this season. Just trying to make some winter upgrades that will get me as much track time as possible.

With the wealth of knowledge on this site, why can't somebody design a "safe, street-friendly" cage that can be bolted in or if need be welded?

I for one, would purchase plans or if made available, a cage, if it was reasonably priced.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mark

With the wealth of knowledge on this site, why can't somebody design a "safe, street-friendly" cage that can be bolted in or if need be welded?

Because the Z is a product of the 70's with a low roofline. When you intrude on the meager amount of space that is there by adding a cage, there just isn't a way to get the bars far enough away from your head to avoid hitting them in an accident. Unless you drive your car with a helmet on the street, I'd suggest you don't install a cage. A roll bar you can get away with since the hoop is behind the driver's head.

:rolleyes::hs::rolleyes:

It is all about safety, you seem to be missing the point of the rules in general.

If NHRA knew anything about structures they'd require a diagonal in the plane of the main hoop in their cage rules. So I guess I am missing the point of those rules.