HybridZ

new Z joins the 1tuffz family!

hey man nice Z i just picked my first Z up not to long ago to restore and call my own i also have 2 kids my first born is a girl and is 2 my second is my son and he is only a few months old. but i like when i am outside with some friends i ask her which is her dads car and she always points to my z first, and then wants to jump into the drivers seat and pretend to drive, but never goes over to my 240sx though unless we have to go somewhere....but anyways good luck with your build hope you and your kids have a great time building it.

• 1 year later...

kids z arrived one week ago. body/paint guy did a wonderful job, not perfect but much more than i expected. a couple of pics as we are barely into the assembly process. did get the engine detailed over the winter... pics.

here is a pic of when we first got her

med_gallery_176_797_982084.jpg

engine cooked in our own spices

med_gallery_176_797_1959825.jpg

z, she is now resting comfortably in our garage awaiting re-assembly

med_gallery_176_797_899942.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

ooh that new green paint looks pretty nice. (my wife says, nice, Very retro) the engine pron is pretty sweet too, Only thing is we need more pictures! Are you planning on redoing all the bushings? I've been told many times it's night and day situation. Do you have plans for a roll cage? and have you mentioned the seating capacity to your kids? I know when I was driving my 78 2+2 in HS, I exceeded the capacity a few times, by factors, rather than just one or 2. I think 9 people was my record. Might mention that that wasn't particularly smart.

Phar

David, kudos to the kids for sticking with it.  Besides responsibility, technical knowledge, and finance, it's important that they grow their attention span, to rise above todays "short span" world.  And remember, the paint ALWAYS looks better after assembly.  I think it looks great even if you say it's not perfect.   

Edited by cygnusx1

ooh that new green paint looks pretty nice. (my wife says, nice, Very retro) the engine pron is pretty sweet too, Only thing is we need more pictures! Are you planning on redoing all the bushings? I've been told many times it's night and day situation. Do you have plans for a roll cage? and have you mentioned the seating capacity to your kids? I know when I was driving my 78 2+2 in HS, I exceeded the capacity a few times, by factors, rather than just one or 2. I think 9 people was my record. Might mention that that wasn't particularly smart.

Phar

I can't imagine why he'd want a roll cage.

• 4 months later...

Time to update this again!

I will update every time I make the 6 hour drive, lol. Spent sometime looking over the car this weekend and it is looking great. David and the kids are doing a great job restoring every inch of this car. The pics and vids don't give you a true picture but just an idea.....enjoy!

Green and Gold~

1107861015_yoJFr-L.jpg

Hardware

1107861185_6Uqud-L.jpg

Engine Bay

1107861360_y2e6P-L.jpg

Walk Aorund:

they are sportmax's, 16x8 we picked up from evilc after he decided to head a different direction for his wheels. the gold centers go great with the 907 nissan green paint color.

we also have the z named-although i'm not certain my son has completely agreed...

"Jade"

Edited by 1 tuff z

Hey Jade is a lot nicer than my first Z was named. A HS gf named mine "Dolores" I don't know if it was because she was jealous or if that's the name the car "spoke" to her, but it stuck. that was many years ago tho. Your car's looking nice. The gold and green is a pretty nice touch I didn't notice the first time.

Gotta admire the towels to protect the fenders from the new looking fender protectors, but hey new paint, I'd be doing that too, or even taking the fenders off. (gotta seal the underside sometime right?) Looks like things are going quickly, you've already got the engine in place. so that's a plus.

How are you planning to put the glass in place? Stock rubber w/ metal trim or generic mounting like a lot of glass shops like to do these days?

Have you already found a new interior?

Phar

Yeah double and triple protection of newly painted fenders is a must.  Old fenders are easy on the back.  Just plant your elbows wherever you like when you lean into the bay.  Looking great David.  I love the overindulgence of plated hardware.  I told Clive your new nickname will be "GoldenNuts".  

Edited by cygnusx1

• 6 months later...

ok, been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long since the last update. we got a bit of enthusiasm over the past 2 weeks. seems every time we tackle an assembly step it the single 'step' turns into the 'while i'm at it's' and involves a multitude of steps. picked up some used tires-215/55/16 [had tried a few different sizes-the used skins will be fine for now as my son can't get his permit until late sept this year].

so, new tokico hp's [nice price from john coffey at beta m'sports], eibach springs, new front ball joints, refurb'd the steering rack, powdercoated lower control arms [and installed camber adjusters] & stock sway bar and replated a ton of hardware. the yellow zinc looks great with the 907 green. anyway, front suspension is finished!

rear suspension is untouched. want to get the front finished first-then to the tail.

once the suspension was finished we hung the fenders, headlight buckets, inspection lids and aligned them all the best we could. newly replated bolts in the door hinges [they sure do look purty!]. installed the radiator then mounted the hood and aligned it as well as the latch. closes nicely and looks great.

emma detailing the door jamb prior to fender install

med_gallery_176_797_263674.jpg

alan installing newly replated door hinge bolts-they're purty!

med_gallery_176_797_787020.jpg

left rear shot showing hatch installed

med_gallery_176_797_1362167.jpg

engine bay-fenders, headlight buckets, inspection lids & hood installed!

med_gallery_176_797_878105.jpg

left front suspension nearly complete-calipers not mounted yet-determining whether to paint or not to paint, that is...

med_gallery_176_797_1798384.jpg

next-wiper cowl cover, air dam, front bumper, horns, lights, connect wiring, rad hoses and so on.

then plan to move to the doors-all latching hardware has been replated, new billet dovetails, lock pulls & such [go figure]-thanks jimmy z for them!

once the doors are completed we'll move to the tail. hatch is already installed, latch hardware on and aligned.

then we'll tackle the interior.

here are a few pics-more later!

Edited by 1 tuff z

butterscotch interior is going. it was many different/faded shades & colors of the original-only the headliner color was decent [it is falling down...]. i am only missing the hatch panel then the panel set [in black] is complete. i plan to remove; headliner, 'a' pillar and windshield headliner trim and replace them with black.

picked up a nice 5 speed [which is in the car now] last fall for cheap and think we'll put a series II console in. grabbed a pair of integra seats about a year ago for about $100 [were significantly less than rebuilding the oe seats] and have a complete carpet kit ready to go.