HybridZ

Steering Wheel Play

Since I owe the Z (72 240z) the steering wheel always had a play, meaning I can rotate the steering wheel 2-3° without moving the rest of the steering system.

At first I thought it was the rubber coupler being shot but I found out the U-joint on top of the coupler does not move when I steer the wheel.

Today I disassembled the wheel, I was expecting the splines connexion to be shot which would explain my problem with no luck (actually it's a good news :) )

Now I'm out of idea, something is going on between the upper steering shaft and the U joint on top of the coupler. I'm wondering how the connexion between the upper and lower steering shaft is made. I guess this is a slip joint since the service manual talks about retractable steering system in case of crash.

Does anybody experience this issue? How do you address it? Do I need to change my column with one in better condition?

I haven't seen anything mentioning this kind of problem on the board. Am I the only to wonder about it?

Most important question: It is unsafe to drive the car like this? (I drive it during weekends for 1.5 years now - Besides this feeling, Car feels awesome on the roads with very precise steering)

Thanks for your input :)

I've read this post when I was searching ;)

Do you mean my issue should be the U-joint being worn?

However it seems the U-joint does not move when I rotate de steering wheel which let me think someelse is going on.

I'll investigate furthermore I specificaly check the u-joint for any wear I could feel.

Could it be the steering shaft having some play into the U joint connection?

I would like to suggest that it might be in your rack itself. There is a the spring that puts tension on the rack rod that can be adjusted by loosening the large ring nut and then turning the slotted bolt inward (clockwise).

BTW, too tight and the steering wheel will not return to center by itself. Very unsettling if you happen to go for a test drive and it occurs.

I would like to suggest that it might be in your rack itself. There is a the spring that puts tension on the rack rod that can be adjusted by loosening the large ring nut and then turning the slotted bolt inward (clockwise).

BTW, too tight and the steering wheel will not return to center by itself. Very unsettling if you happen to go for a test drive and it occurs.

This condition is common with all steering gearboxes or steering racks that have a lot of miles on them . The "sweet spot " that is the spot that gets the most wear between the worm and sector shaft or the gear and tooth assembly depending on what type of steering system you have. Wears out before the outer parts of the gear and tooth. Adjusting this can be difficult since once you tighten up the "sweet spot " it tends to bind up as you turn outward toward the end limits . Sometimes you can get lucky and get away with an adjustment. sometimes its best to replace the worn component. Many steering rebuilders/remanufacturers encounter this on a daily basis. Not too many of them replace the necessary parts in a worn assembly like this . You will need to exercise a little caution when getting a rack rebuilt or replacing with a used unit.

There are 2 u-joints, one on the bottom near the rack, and the other above the plastic coupler. I had the same problem and once I changed both u joints I had no more play. I am sure thats your problem if you still have the stock u-joints.

I'll check that next weekend and report back ;)

Regarding the rack I don't think the problem is coming from it since I lock the coupler with my hands to test the steering line. For sure it is in between the coupler and the wheel.

Thanks all for your help :eek: