HybridZ

Late 80's Early 90's Nissan Pathfinder (A little burned)

JSM

I was curious I'm not sure the exact year but I can pick up a Late 80's Early 90's Nissan Pathfinder from a friend for like $100.00. The only bad thing was it had an engine fire. It was burning for 8 mins. before the fire dept came.

I see them in the JY all the time and figured parts would be easy to get, but I haven't seen the extent of the burns yet.

Curious if anyone has messed w/ such an endeavor and what was the outcome? Should I even bother? The rest of the vehicle is pretty clean.

Any info on how hard the wiring harness are at getting out and if there fairly plug and play?

I had a 88 I bought new. Replaced the engine in 96, I don't recall it being too terrible to work on. Had it back on the road in a couple of days. I was at a Pull/Pick a Part this weekend, I was amazed at how many good first series Pathfinders were available. After eight minutes of car bbq, I imagine that you will have some work to do.

Good Luck

eight minutes is a long time. Your looking at brake master, booster, all new wiring (I don't how the harness is run or where it terminates but the heat of the fire will travel through the wiring harness and melt things under the dash or in the doors or anywhere really. new engine and trans, new bushings in the front suspension, new wiper motor and wiring, new windshield seal (I would imagine that the bottom is toasted, maybe a new heater core and AC condenser (depending on how hot the firewall got....etc etc. The bolts are probably fused together with rust and gunk so expect lots of time fighting them.

100$ is pocket change though. you could easily buy it and start stripping the engine compartment and asses the damage from there, if it looks bad throw some parts on ebay until you get you 100$ back and then sell the rest to your local junkyard for few hundred.

Def not worth it for a daily driver. Cost of repair exceeds value of the vehicle. But it would make a good parts doner.

8 minutes is a very long time, as the picture suggests.check out the integrity of the sheet metal now. Fire usually makes it the have the integrity of copper from my experience. it just pulls the temper out of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont do it! The wiring would be a major PITA alone. I have a 95 with 187k miles on it and it runs great. They are extremely reliable and make nice drivers, but are also quite cheap.

It would be much better in teh long run to buy a good one for a couple of grand.

The biggest problem is the timing belt in them doesnt last long and is kind of a pain to change. Everything else is pretty decent.

This may not appy to the pathfinder, but with the trucks of the same years the wiring harness for the chasis and engine are a single unit and run about 700 or so from the dealership.

I am guessing it would be considerably higher for the pathy.