HybridZ

My new floor pans and frame rails WHITE primer!

dsommer

David, you've done a hell of a job with my old 71 Z. Glad I was able to get you what you were looking for. Keep me posted with more pic and progress.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for coming through for me in the "nick of time" with this car for a very fair price.

My wife asked me when I got home. "Why did you go all the way to Dallas just to get the same thing you've already got?" (shell car..the shell game, BTW I think it's a 72 according to my VIN calculations?)

Again folks this is why you want as close to a rust free car as possible. I chose to replace the pans because I had them for my other car which had a severly bent front passenger frame rail so I skipped that car and picked up this one. I was going to media blast the car all along so we went ahead and replaced the floors with new metal, might as well start fresh when going down this far with a build.

Can't wait till we get started on body work.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

David

Well, I don't know what the heck the rest of these guys are talking about, but I think that thing is terrible!!! So terrible in fact that I think that you ought to just go ahead and give it to me along with all of those neat parts that you've got...

:)

Man, does that bring back recent memories! Sure is exciting to see it with color on it!

Congrats big time!

BTW, having another white Z in the stable is going to do nothing but cause me more trouble... I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've had people come up and say "Do you know the guy with the white one with the big motor?"

I should have painted mine white...then we could have really screwed with their heads!

Bryan

Hey Bryan I'll loan it to you so you can put it back together for me ;)

All my Z are white, when I first got this one it was red and green and some of the other Z guys up here were like, "WHAT it's not white!!!"

Those where the two guys I sold white Z's to. A 260 which you saw and then a nice clean 71 240 which I wish I could have kept but alas, no time for it.

David,

Excellent workmanship and great pics to help motivate the rest of us!

How did you mount the rear of the body to the rotisserie? I can see the square tubing coming thru the taillight opening but can't tell how its secured.

Thanks!

I'll have to follow up later on the questions. I'm having a shop do the structural work here. Don't think for a minute that I know how to run a welder like these guys do.

This is turning into a "checkbook" build right now as I don't have the time to work on the car with family and work taking up all my time.

dsommer: Looks GREAT. I have questions. When using Bad Dog subframe rails, are the old ones removed and then Bad Dog rails installed? Please describe. Where are the BD subframe connectors available and where are they installed? At the front of the Bad Dog rails? I want to do the same to my 1971 240Z but the passenger floor and subframe below are bent upward. Will have to remove spot welds and subframe, then hammer the floor back down and install new subframe. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

BTW, having another white Z in the stable is going to do nothing but cause me more trouble... I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've had people come up and say "Do you know the guy with the white one with the big motor?"

I should have painted mine white...then we could have really screwed with their heads!

Bryan

White with a big motor.. what? They need to stop looking at my stuff :burnout:

carworkday008.jpg

wheeeels010.jpg

Sounds like someone is sneaking around Indiana :mrgreen:

^^^And both of you quit thread jacking please. :nono:

There are valid questions on this thread that folks want answered, no need to muddy the waters, thanks.

David

The car was sprayed with POR15 White Coate (on the bottom) last week and the results were LESS than spectacular :( The first coat went laid down fine then the second coat went to hell in a hand basket. Runs, drips, orange peel, fish eyes. It's a loss. The shop is going to rough it all up and spray it with paint, which I guess we should have done in the first place but I wanted the protection of claims of the POR15.

RSICARD

Bad Dog rail go OVER you OEM rails and tie into the front frame rails, google BAD DOG FRAME RAILS and the company website with all the info will come up. Also so I'm going to have to throw you the "search" card on this site, you'll find exactally what you're looking for with pics.

Wayne In KY

I'll have to check with the shop on the primer.

gdv 350SS

Good question, I'll get closer pics of it.

AK-Z

Again the shop removed this area, looks like they removed the spot welds the took out the X member. I'll ask the guy that did the work next week.