HybridZ

I want a part made.

Beau M

Please forgive my ignorance, but I have never out-sourced anything like this. Where would I get a part like this made? This is just a quick drawing I made in paint, the measurements are not final by any means. I think I want about 18 gauge steel.. so I assume I need a place with a robot plasma cutter or a flow jet type cutter. Also, do you reccomend chrome, or stainless steel? These will be on the outside of the car. Basically i need to know what type of buisness to start looking for. Also, if you have any kind of price estimate, that would be awesome :)

part.jpg

Hey there,

Your real problem here is quantity. Most cnc guys [plasma ,waterjet,laser] are going to charge a minimum setup and cut charge.This could be 40-100 bucks.They have to convert your concept to a cad program[this is a simple one] stop there production set up your material and cut 1 pc. For 1 probally at least 40.00 + material .if you needed 200qty + probally 3.00 bucks ea. I would waterjet though its a much cleaner cut. I don`t know the use so I can`t advise material

If its a one off part for your car you'd be much better off just cutting it out yourself. You can print off the pattern on a piece of paper to scale (pdf is good for this) and then spray glue it to the piece of metal and go to work. Smaller hole saw first then a die grinder, dremel, file, whatever. You'd be surprised how close you can get it with a little elbow grease...especially if its just 18ga. Metal is only a couple cents so if you mess up once or twice who cares.

If your led's have a grommet surround, that will hide any irregularities in your hole cuts. Also, I'g go stainless, if you cut a pre-chromed pc, then you'd have to deal with the cut edges not being sealed and the cost to have them chromed after will be high.

If your led's have a grommet surround, that will hide any irregularities in your hole cuts. Also, I'g go stainless, if you cut a pre-chromed pc, then you'd have to deal with the cut edges not being sealed and the cost to have them chromed after will be high.

Isn't stainless going to be work hardening as you're cutting though?

Not as long as he uses a good hole saw at a low rpm and watch's the color of the chips coming off.With a fair amount of downward pressure and low rpm, ss cuts just fine.If the chips start turning gold during the cut, slow the rpms down even more.If your seeing purple chips, your pretty much done and its become work hardend. If that happens, flip the part over and ( with a new hole saw ) cut from the back side. A little oil or cutting fluid is a good idea too. Make sure the part is clamped down well because just as the saw blade is coming thru the stock, its gonna grab and want to spin the part and lop off a digit.

This is all assuming I have a drill press and a band saw... I have neither. I may have access to those tools though. If I did not use stainless I was going to use normal sheet steel and have it chromed, probably with some other bits. But I have no idea how much chroming costs... ah, hell, I'll just wrap it in tin foil when I'm done and call it a day. This project isn't happening any time soon anyway, I got quite a bit of rust to deal with first.

Beau M you cam make those with minimum tools.

Tin snips

Straight edge

Compass

tape measure

Clamps

air or electric dremel

sanding bits

I think it is a cool idea. If you take your time you could have it done on the first try. If not your out 10 bucks and you try again. When you get it done you can take pride that you made that part yourself.