HybridZ

L28- 3.1 Liter, main bearing issues. Harmonics?

gira

I know there are a few guys running the ATI unit, and it works well with external sump configurations. The thing I did not like about ATI is that they had no viable belt pully attachments available when I contacted them. Everything weas bolt on, and I did not mind that to much, but when I got a quote on the pullies I would need to have made, the cost of the part ended up like $700.00 completed. That was a little pricy to me seeing that the ATI damper is designed to basically attenuate ONE frequency.

I then tried to get something going with Fluid and they to would not take the time for R&D. That would have been the IDEAL part to run as it attenuates any frequency at any RPM. Hands down the best part to use.

I contacted BHJ Dynamics, two weeks after Rebello contacted them to build the equilivent ("Euro Damper") and got going on a 280ZX application. I worked with them on my engine, and the damper was tested on a high RPM Rebello engine (8500 RPM's) and the harmonics were checked. Oh and BTW the harmonics are about 125Hz-200Hz measured on a race engine, so you can see clearly how the "Harmonics" can quickly destroy the rotating assembly, but for the most part what happens is the flywheel bolts grt lose, and the damper bolt gets lose.

I would go with the BHJ part if there are no special belt requirements.

Who knows, now that I have t test block and head to use I just may buy a fluid damper, and come up with a belt pully system to use on our cars.

anyway, don't limit yourself to just an ATI unit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic