HybridZ

Cleaning Bolts

Bartman

So I’m getting close to paint and I have my car almost completely apart. I don’t want to use my nasty looking bolts against my nice paint job, so I’m wondering how I can clean them up. Mostly they are covered with paint, and I would like to remove it. The main bolts I’m concerned with are the bolts that connect the fenders and all the bolts in the door jambs. So does anyone have nay suggestions on how I can clean them up, or do I just need to purchase new ones. I’ve seen the fender bolts on eBay, so I guess that’s an option for them if they don’t clean up well.

I usually wirebrush the heads to clean them up. You can also soak them in a can of parts cleaner overnight. Sometimes, I will stand them up through a piece of cardboard and paint the heads. To get really exotic, go to a good hardware store and get stainless steel replacements or buy a stainless bolt kit from one of the online resources. If you want originality, you might even have them cad plated, perhaps? I'm not really knowledgeable on the fastener coatings used by the factory. Zinc?

Just be aware that after you wirebrush them, if you dont treat them, they do rust.

Put a little silicone grease on the threads before you assmble them again. This will make your life much easier in the future.

Plating is cheap, it cost me 80 US$ for 2 box full of bolts and hardware. Original uses Cadmium, but yellow Zinc is pretty much the same thing. You need to remove the paint first, the rust dissolves itself in the acid. Here is an example!

Plating005.jpg

I don't want them painted, so I'll have to look at getting some plated or stainless replacements. Maybe I can find a good hardware store locally that will have the sizes I need.

Bartman: Suggest Stainless Steel replacements. Some of the originals may be WEAK.

Bartman, McFadden-Dale off of Maple will have a good selection, but I highly recommend their branch near Orange. The selection is much larger. They have everything you'll need.
I was thinking of that place, but couldn't remember the name. I've gone to the one on Edinger a few times, and they have a great selection. I didn't even know they had a location in Corona as well.

Plating is cheap, it cost me 80 US$ for 2 box full of bolts and hardware. Original uses Cadmium, but yellow Zinc is pretty much the same thing. You need to remove the paint first, the rust dissolves itself in the acid. Here is an example!

Plating005.jpg

Dayz, is this place local to you? I might want a few parts done if you can let me know. Thanks

I might suggest using a Brass tumbler for firearms with crushed walnut media that has the polishing compount on the walnut. It will remove old paint but leave the plating if it is still intact, while polishing the metal to a nice new shine. If you are to attempt to blast the metal with anything other than soda or plastic media it will change the surface structure of the metal and the Cad/Zinc plating will not even look close to what it looked like originally.

THe Brass tumbler that I am talking about can be had at "Midway" with the media for 50-75 dollars.. Works great.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=514805

J

Dayz, is this place local to you? I might want a few parts done if you can let me know. Thanks

10 Minutes of Driving, very close to me. There is baril and Rack plating, baril is better but for smaller stuff such as bolts and hardware. Let me know what you want!

Dayz

• 2 months later...
Bartman, McFadden-Dale off of Maple will have a good selection, but I highly recommend their branch near Orange. The selection is much larger. They have everything you'll need.
I finally went to the one in Corona this morning. What a great place - they had everything I needed in Stainless Steel. I'll be making more trips to replace additional bolts in the future!