HybridZ

Do you "brake check"?

dsommer

SuperPickle - by proactive law enforcement I mean I go out and look for infractions and for people showing tendencies that will soon turn to things that are not safe for others.

As compared to waitng for people to crash and then deal w/the aftermath.

MisterZ - the FL "MOVE OVER LAW" is when you see law enforcement/fire rescue stopped on the side of the road you are suppose to move over 1 lane(multi lane road)

and slow down a little. It "IS NOT" a move over so you can go faster then the traffic ahead of you.

Tom

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MisterZ - the FL "MOVE OVER LAW" is when you see law enforcement/fire rescue stopped on the side of the road you are suppose to move over 1 lane(multi lane road)

and slow down a little. It "IS NOT" a move over so you can go faster then the traffic ahead of you.

Tom

Your right, and I stand corrected as it's only a local law here that police can ticket you for going slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane (impeding traffic). Locals commonly refer to it as 'move over'.

Here in KY, it's not commonly known that tailgating will get you a ticket, and two tickets for tailgating and you WILL automatically lose your license for a month, plus driving school. Unlike most moving violations in the state, there are a few (like this) that DON'T come off your record in a year.

Also on the list of seldom known tickets in KY:

Driving too slow (holding up traffic)

Driving too fast for conditions (I.E., it's pouring snow, and you're doing 45 in a 65 zone, you get a ticket for this.)

Driving in the left lane (as in not for passing, but just driving in it)

Driving in the turn lane (I think the rule is more than 300ft of yellow=ticket, if it's a solid white line, no ticket.)

Unfortunately, none of these, much like the blinker laws, really ever get enforced. If they did, the roads would be so much safer it's not even funny.

Those rules apply here as well.

I've been pulled over for driving in the left lane with no one around.

Its just that that lane is in better shape.

Side story, had a older caravan following me in my work pickup.

I was speeding a bit and picked him up, (I became a radar break), he was following at a good distance, just did not want him back there, was not mad or anything.

Anyhow could not shake him for miles, now in the right hand lane, where I was, there was a piece of cardboard in the road (about 4by5 feet in side), laying flat, did not have time to avoid, rolling over the top of it, caused it to become airborne, and you got it, WRAP....stuck right to the front of his rig, not blocking the windshield too much, but must of scared the crap out of him!!

Anyhow he pulled off the emergency lane, knowing he was going to be fine, I did smile to my self a little.

I used to pull the emergency brake instead of brake check. Stupid thing to do. This is all when I was young, full of piss & vinegar. I tried to get people to hit me that were tailgaters...why? Why? It doesn't amount to a hill of beans and doesn't "win" me anything. I just learned to let them go around or I move over. I have too much to lose at this point in life, so it's not worth it now.

Davy

That's funny, my girlfriend saw the Lambo on the news today and told me about it. I really can't think of how stupid the Lambo driver is. I don't care what happened, a Murcielago should never rear end an SUV!!!

An armed society is a polite society...

Last year in San Antonio an incident made the news here in Houston, two drivers got pissed at each other. They both hit a red light, one driver gets out with a baseball bat, the other driver who has a CHL license shot him.

http://www.ksat.com/news/14959073/detail.html

I never brake check anyone, if someone is on my 6 I just try to let them around me, actually, I never participate in road rage period. You just never know what is going to happen.

Here in FL there is a move-over law that you can be ticketed for staying in the hammer lane if a faster vehicle is behind you and you can safely change lanes to allow them to pass.

MisterZ - the FL "MOVE OVER LAW" is when you see law enforcement/fire rescue stopped on the side of the road you are suppose to move over 1 lane(multi lane road) and slow down a little. It "IS NOT" a move over so you can go faster then the traffic ahead of you.

Tom

Hi Guys:

I'll spend a minute on this - because if you are in Florida - it is important.

First - yes. It is the law that you yield a lane to emergency vehicles that are stopped on or beside the road. I'm pretty sure that the law specifies a maximum speed past them - 35mph perhaps. I know it's 20 mph here in Largo, Florida.

Second - yes. There is a law against impeding traffic flow here. However, as written the State Police have to see that certain conditions exist - last time I looked there had to be some large number of vehicles being held up, before law enforcement could pull the offender over.

"Keep Right Except To Pass" - legislation was passed in both Houses of the Florida Legislature year before last. Had Governor Bush signed it - it would have applied to all limited access, multi-lane highways within the State of Florida.

"Keep Right Except To Pass" - is the law in many States. It was developed to assure a smooth flow of traffic on our Interstate Freeway System. A smooth flow of traffic avoids the "accordion effect" that takes place when faster traffic catches up with slower traffic - and is forced to reduce speed at a sudden rate. When this happens, a few miles back traffic comes to a complete stop. Then we see the stop and go pattern on the freeway, when there is no accident nor incident that should have slowed traffic to a stand still.

"Keep Right Except To Pass" - is really good highway safety engineering at work. The auto hobby lobby {SEMA Action Network} worked very hard to get the "Keep Right Except To Pass" legislation through both Houses of the Florida Legislature - mostly because it would have reduced the incidents of "Road Rage", caused by inconsiderate, un-educated drivers - displaying a complete disregard for anyone else on the road with them.

Governor Bush - in refusing to sign the legislation into law - said that he didn't believe anyone should get a traffic ticket as long as they were driving within the Speed Limit in any lane.

Two weeks after - an incident of Road Rage took the life of a very popular M.D. The Doc. was driving in the left lane on the freeway - holding up traffic behind him, and causing that accordion effect. Someone worked their way up behind him - and when the opportunity presented itself - they whipped around him on the Right - then when just past him - they swerved back into the left lane ahead of him... ie they cut him off.

The Doc. whipped his car to the Left to avoid being hit - but then he lost control of his SUV and rolled it.

With a new Governor in office - perhaps we can get the same legislation though the Florida Legislature, and maybe the new Governor will sign it this time - before more lives are needlessly lost.

Our highways would be a LOT safer for everyone - IF - we let the Highway Safety Engineers develop the traffic codes, and build the highways designed for safety. Instead, just like everything else in our lives today - we're driven by Politicians of both Parties - that make Politically Correct traffic laws.

FWIW,

Carl B.

^^ Now if that isn't poetic justice I don't know what is. On the turkey side of things, here in North Dakota we have 45-50 pound "wild" mean turkeys running around, oh, and deer seem to be really attracted to headlights.

We have lazy moose that don't care/don't realize that they are going to get hit :P.

Had a crazy a$$ friend that would stick his car's cruise control on and have his body half way out the window and try to drive along side the moose and smack it as he passed. Man, I miss those days :P lol

Do I brake check?

No. But...

I was once driving my '78 Z to a club one late evening and was about to take a sweeping right hander off the road I was on. Before I made it to the turn there was this blacked out Honda with load bumble bee exhaust that I first heard and then saw, swirving back and forth from lane to lane with noone else around. The Honda eventually came running up my butt only to go flying around me as I'm about to make the right hander. He then cuts me off to take the same right hander. Had I not been turning there was no doubt that he would have hit me. This put me pretty close to his rear bumper. After the right hand turn is made you come to a light and he is apparently now turning right with his turn signal on. By this time I have slowed down off his back end, but see his turn signal and thought I would just take his place as he makes his right turn(I'm going straight). No one in sight to slow him down and the cross traffic light is about to turn green. No problem.

The light turns green, he doesn't turn and I'm now hard on the brakes to stop behind him. No tire sounds made. I'm by no means within 5 feet of his back bumper. He puts it in reverse and backs in to me and bounces off. He takes it out of gear and puts it back into reverse and bounces off my front bumper. The whole time I'm thinking, I wasn't that close, your an idiot and stop running into me. He then puts it back into reverse, so I floored it, pushed him past his turn, hit the brakes and let him coast up away from me, probably in total shock. He pulls into the parking lot just past his turn and I flee....

He tried his best to catch up but with every turn I made the distance got larger. I never saw that vehicle again, but always wondered what was going through his head, especially after he missed that turn.

Looking back it was very stupid, but I wasn't going to let this idiot continue to run into me and I sure as hell wasn't going to get out of my Z with him around. I ended up just going home after that nightmare and called it a night because apparently the idiots were out all over the place just looking for trouble.

I dont break check for the following reason... Me and my pregnant wife and daughter where driving from Reno to So. Cal in our brand new 03 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4, not the smallest car out there on the road, when this a-hole in a newer Tahoe comes weaving through traffic. Im not paying much attention to him, just cruzing about 65 or so in the fast lane, wife and kid sleeping. Well, I see him one lane over brake checking the car behind him for no reason, so I slow down to get away for this idiot. He cuts over in front of me and dose the same, pretty hard to slow a truck that big down from 60 to 30ish on the highway. So, he punches it and takes off. Now im a little shakin, but get back up to speed with the rest of the traffic and start to forget about him when up ahead of me i can see tire smoke, this guy did it to someone else...now im like WTF this guys crazy. So about 2 min later hes slowing down and weaving through traffic and ends up in front of me again, brake checks and off into the dirt on the side of the road I go. Now my wife wakes up pretty pissed off at me for driving erratically, I try to explain myself, shes like whatever, so I get back on to the highway and no kidding less then 5 miles down the road there this a-hole is AGAIN. Now im thinking maybe this guy stole the truck and is just asking for it, hes still doing the same thing in different lanes of traffic, weaving speeding up and STOPPING on the highway. I did my best just to stay away from him, but my wife believed my story after that. If it where just me in the car, i think i would have layed the front bumper to him and helped him off the highway, but what can you do with your family in the car?