HybridZ

Should my MSA header bow like this?

280zx 2by2

i went to put the header on yesterday and noticed it wasn't flush...

its bowed by about 4-3mm if i push one side down flush, but if i push both sides down i can get it to within 1mm flush with the surface...

is it supposed to be like this?

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0922.jpg

MSA closed at 1:00 yesterday so i couldn't ask them and i really wanted to get this done today... thank you

No, its not supposed to be like that. I would be OK with a 1mm bow without any pushing on the part, but 3mm is too much IMHO. Its going to put a lot of stress on the front and rear mounting studs and will eventually blow out the gasket on #6 for sure and probably #1.

I emailed them but i don't expect a reply today... i wanted to get this done today but if it is messed up id hate to be out $324 or even worse end up with a warped head...

ill call them tomorrow and see whats up... i just would expect that this would be something that would be a quality control check point and that's why i thought it might be an intentional design...

I emailed them but i don't expect a reply today... i wanted to get this done today but if it is messed up id hate to be out $324 or even worse end up with a warped head...

ill call them tomorrow and see whats up... i just would expect that this would be something that would be a quality control check point and that's why i thought it might be an intentional design...

I bought a 3-2-1 header from MSA that was warped like that. In fact it was warped so badly that the y-pipe wouldn't slide on nearly as far as it should have. In order to use that header I would have needed longer studs in the front and rear holes... there wasn't enough "meat" sticking out to get the nuts threaded on.

They replaced that header no questions asked, but I had them send me a 6-1 header instead. The one they sent me was slightly warped but nothing like that first one!

I wonder if the ceramic coating process is warping those headers, or if they get warped when they are welded together.

I bought a 3-2-1 header from MSA that was warped like that. In fact it was warped so badly that the y-pipe wouldn't slide on nearly as far as it should have. In order to use that header I would have needed longer studs in the front and rear holes... there wasn't enough "meat" sticking out to get the nuts threaded on.

They replaced that header no questions asked, but I had them send me a 6-1 header instead. The one they sent me was slightly warped but nothing like that first one!

I wonder if the ceramic coating process is warping those headers, or if they get warped when they are welded together.

it might be, were both of the ones you got coated?

lol im going to call them at lunch tomorrow (then it should be 9:00 there) and see if they will send me a legit one... i just hate the fact that i have to wait 2 weeks now for a header i ordered a week ago...

i love you MSA but this is NOT COOL!!!

well i called MSA today and once again got their world class customer service (they even called later to see if things were ok). its great that they are technicians and know what they are talking about, they told me to go ahead and try the header and if it popped out my studs the would replace the header and the studs...

i tried it, it worked!!! well so far :)

my advise to anyone in this type of situation is to call MSA first

also i wish motorsport auto would make some "I ♥ MSA" stickers cause i sure do

Sure it's nice of them saying they'll replace the header and studs if it breaks, you just better hope the stud doesn't brake off IN the head, because that will be a livid b!tch to fix.

it already happened twice, and yes it was a b!tch, one i was able to extract the other i had to drill out and retap :shock:

I just hope when you try to send it back and they say welll......

They were warped by you using them.

Not saying that they are tiring anything bad, just usually when you use something....

Good luck.

i will use this thread as evidence :mrgreen:

i started it up today and it ran good, a little leak at one of my gaskets but ill tighten it up tomorrow

I've had many "run-ins" with MSA and will never buy anything from them again. I would reconmend you send it back to them for a new one or get a shop to flatten it. the header when hot should "bend" back to bing somewhat stright but when cold or anytime slowly pull the studs out of the head and take the treads with it. you shouldn't take any chances beacause MSA dosen't want to man up and replace it. Just my 3 cents.

now they will say ..."you were able to mount it and it fit" so its NOT our problem

i wouldve sent it back.............send me the right fitting 6 into1 assmunch!

Have A nice day!

its wayyy off you are gonna have gasket problems .......... i gaurunteeeee it!

just wait for a few Heat cycles and you too will be a believer.............

hey whats that sound( tik tik tik tik ) its an exhaust leak babay

and now its out of its warrenty cuz you waited 90 days

look,.... been there went thru that bullshit deal with it now and be dick about it

good luck compadre

now they will say ..."you were able to mount it and it fit" so its NOT our problem

i wouldve sent it back.............send me the right fitting 6 into1 assmunch!

Have A nice day!

its wayyy off you are gonna have gasket problems .......... i gaurunteeeee it!

just wait for a few Heat cycles and you too will be a believer.............

hey whats that sound( tik tik tik tik ) its an exhaust leak babay

and now its out of its warrenty cuz you waited 90 days

look,.... been there went thru that bullshit deal with it now and be dick about it

good luck compadre

English please?

It seems that about 95% of people have excellent experiences and nothing but that dealing with MSA on new products that they have sold you. My experiences with them have been nothing but majorly positive. Enough people HAVE had bad times that we can't give them halos just yet, but if you really believe that you want to change your header out (the points regarding its lifespan and the studs in your head are all very valid) I SERIOUSLY doubt that MSA is going to give you a hard time over it.

Where is all the animosity towards Motorsport Auto coming from?

Plus if or when you send it back, you have to do all the labor of pulling your manifolds again and unbolting your exhaust. (unless you weld to the y-pipe)

Not fun. Then your car will be down for who knows how long. If they replace it then maybe only a few weeks. If they don't want to replace it...

Plus if or when you send it back, you have to do all the labor of pulling your manifolds again and unbolting your exhaust. (unless you weld to the y-pipe)

Not fun. Then your car will be down for who knows how long. If they replace it then maybe only a few weeks. If they don't want to replace it...

im going to go get it fixed tomorrow... going open y-pipe though a metropolitan city...

this supposed "bolt-on" kit is well... not bolt-on, there's an extra 2 inches in the system that they say "works for everyone else"

• 11 months later...

To add a bit to this thread, I just bought some brand new ceramic-coated 6-1 headers from MSA and got them today. They were warped well over .100", bowing in the center. My machinist bent it closer to straight in a press, then still had to take off about .060" to make it flat.

I'd already seen this thread so I expected to need this done, but be warned it's still happening.

For the record, I still have no problem doing business with MSA, I'm happy with almost everything I get from them.

Edited by X64v