HybridZ

how much to cut from springs?

remember that cutting coils increases spring rate (effectively)

We had a guy go through the calculations and spring rate from cutting off a couple coils was changed by something like 5%. The stock springs are so soft, that 5% increase is really not enough. You can find spring rate calculations on line if you want to double check my memory on the rate change.

We had a guy go through the calculations and spring rate from cutting off a couple coils was changed by something like 5%. The stock springs are so soft, that 5% increase is really not enough. You can find spring rate calculations on line if you want to double check my memory on the rate change.

i'll take your word for it

• 8 months later...

I just cut my front coils on my 71 haven't done the back but ran into other issues that needed to be taken care of. So I will have pics and numbers posted for the rear once I've done them.

So here are the measurements I had and ended up with I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

Front ride height when started was 26 1/4" (from center of tire on the ground to the highest point of the fender lip-just about center). After the height was 25 3/8". I did the half a coil cutting and it just wasn't enough so I opted for a full coil to get the desired drop. In total I cut 2 1/2 coils each full coil was about a .85 drop in height. I like the result for the most part however the car seems to max out on severe bumps but I'm not sure yet as I haven't hit many since the drop I will let everyone know once I've driven the car for a while.

Edited by OniZ
misspellings

very nice OniZ, I have a set of Tokico Blue Coils for my 280z that I cut and its gonna lower my car about 2-2.5" depending on stock suspension sag over the 32 years its been around. I believe that 1-1/2coils were cut off each spring, so does anyone know what that would bring the spring rate to?

I believe the Tokico Blue springs were front 220 and 240 rear? So when 1-1/2 coils were cut off it would be something like, Front 255 and 276 Rear?

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpspringrate/spring_rate_equation.php

Here's the math if you want to figure it out yourself.

I would guess that the rate changed less than 10 lbs.

well, Someone else figured that 5% per 1/2 coil, and I took 1 and a 1/2coil wouldn't it increase into 15% or is my theory just up in smoke.

well, Someone else figured that 5% per 1/2 coil, and I took 1 and a 1/2coil wouldn't it increase into 15% or is my theory just up in smoke.

Don't use my fuzzy recollection from 7 or 8 years ago and then extrapolate on that. As the old saying goes, if you make ♥♥♥♥ with ice cream you get shitty tasting ice cream.

• 2 weeks later...