HybridZ

building paint booth

mr jdm

Im building a paint booth for my garage, im going to use either wood or pvc pipe for the frame. My only question is where do you guys get those long wide rolls of plastic so I can make the "walls" of the paint booth.

Why build a frame? Why not just tape/staple the plastic sheeting to the walls/ceiling? My roommate went through the trouble of building a PVC paint booth to spray his motorcycle and it cost him like $150 in PVC & plastic and it really didn't work very well, although that could've just been b/c he didn't do it right or something.

I would also advise against using pvc. I used it when I was blasting my Z, but if you don't have enough supports it will sag real bad. I ended up attaching the plastic to the ceiling of my garage to help keep it up.

Hey,

I just built a booth to spray my wheels. I used a light 2x4 frame and moisture barrier plastic you can get from any building material store, the plastic comes in a variety of sizes (8', 10' and 12') and thicknesses..its alot more durable then the painters drops. Worked awesome for me and was easy to build.

DSC_0053_Medium.sized.jpg

If you use PVC use 3/4 sch 40 and include plenty of supports. The rolls of big plastic are available thru McMaster Carr. Clear plastic will let the lights shine thru. I let the fans blow in to avoid explosion issues and filtered the air going out to keep my garage door clean and not piss off the neighbors too bad.

I paint a fair amount of cars, and work with alot of people that do. We all either spray right outside at about 4-5 in the morning when the air is calm, or right in the garage with the door open. Many here have seen the cars I have sprayed, and there is NO dirt that is visable at all in the paint. I actually rented TWO different paint booths to spray my cars in. Those two times were the most dirty paint jobs I have ever done. I will never paint in a booth again. As long as you wet the floor, and keep the water flowing, and keep your compressor outside, you will have a REALLY clean job. I have used the plastic in the early days of my painting, and it creates SOOOO much static electricity that it ATTRACTED the dust, and then dropped it on the car. Never again for me. Again this is MY opinion you can take it as you wish.

Well you guys are lucky. You don't have a volcano that erupted a month ago a couple hundred miles away shooting ash everywhere :P, and a giant spruce tree in your front yard that flings pine needles EVERYWHERE. :P

I just expect to wetsand and spray MANY light layers.

I paint a fair amount of cars, and work with alot of people that do. We all either spray right outside at about 4-5 in the morning when the air is calm, or right in the garage with the door open. Many here have seen the cars I have sprayed, and there is NO dirt that is visable at all in the paint. I actually rented TWO different paint booths to spray my cars in. Those two times were the most dirty paint jobs I have ever done. I will never paint in a booth again. As long as you wet the floor, and keep the water flowing, and keep your compressor outside, you will have a REALLY clean job. I have used the plastic in the early days of my painting, and it creates SOOOO much static electricity that it ATTRACTED the dust, and then dropped it on the car. Never again for me. Again this is MY opinion you can take it as you wish.

Im painting my car in my 1.5 car garage, the 60 gal air compressor is inside and it does blow air around. Ive decided im going to build the frame with 2x4 and get plastic around it except I will not close off the door side, I will leave the garage door open and paint. Il keep you guys posted with pics, hope to have the car done real soon.

I primered my car without a booth in the garage and it was one of the worst mistakes I made. I had to pull EVERYTHING out of the garage and scrub it down from top to bottom to get everything out, and there is still some residue on things. Ruined a good bit of stuff.

I spray conventional though.....if your spraying without a booth better at least be HVLP.

Im painting my car in my 1.5 car garage, the 60 gal air compressor is inside and it does blow air around. Ive decided im going to build the frame with 2x4 and get plastic around it except I will not close off the door side, I will leave the garage door open and paint. Il keep you guys posted with pics, hope to have the car done real soon.

Please do. Im getting ready to paint a few parts myself and am trying to decide how I want to tarp. I live 2 miles from the gulf coast, so the breeze tends to kick up from time to time...:evil:

If you are painting with enamels, the wet paint goes wherever the air moves. I did a booth more to preserve my garage than to keep the dust down. If you spread a sheet on the floor, you don't have to worry about doing the water thing either. Just make sure the car is clean (top to bottom) before pulling it in. Your blowing the thing with compressed air when painting so dirt from underneath or fenderwells can suddenly appear. I've also done the early morning painting outside. Not bad either but you need the right condiitons.

Wear a good respirator, safety glasses, and cover exposed skin.

Oh and don't forget to not make too big a deal out of the process. It is illegal to paint your car in your garage. Enviromentalists frown heavily on letting solvents flash off to the atmosphere. I'm just saying it so people don't think, "Hey I can paint cars at my house no problem" I painted my car in my buddies garage. We put up plastic all over the garage. Mainly to protect against overspray on everything. We wet the floor and driveway, and parked the rest of our cars well away from the garage door.

Thinking outloud, you could probably leave the door open and hang some bedsheets to allow air, but capture some of the overspray from escaping and getting on anything outside the garage. Heck you could use damp/wet sheets to help capture dust.

I second the suggestion to blow off the car with air outside if possible, because dirt under the car, on the wheels/suspension etc will go everywhere when you start painting.

I'm sure you could get pretty fancy if you wanted to. If you are painting in a home garage, you are likely an ameture, and/or trying to save money, and are willing to live with a less than show quality appearance, so don't get too hung up on constructing a booth.

Anyone want to mention a sag or a bit of dirt in my paint job will get a sock in the eye. hehehe j/k. It cost me $60 to paint my Z.