HybridZ

Thinking about selling the G35 for a 2000 740iL - your thoughts / experience?

icapture

I have always been a fan of the E38 bimmer. Love the somewhat boxyness and love the lines. The G35 is great, but I now have a 1975 Datsun 280Z with an SR20det under the bonnet. So I now have two sport cars (and a jeep, cant forget the jeep) and like I said, Ive always loved the 740. So my buddy recently bought one. Black with black interior. Gorgeous car and is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in. I have a friend who imports and exports cars. And he goes to a lot of dealer only auctions and there are some clean a** cars there for pretty damn cheap.

So what do you lads think? sell the G35 for a 740iL with roughly the same amount of miles (80,000)?

I am gonna be scanning craigslist and starting to look at 740's around here - get an idea of what is a good deal. Also, allows me to see various issues that might arise with the car.

I have a friend who used to be a BMW mechanic, and he is a helper by nature - im stoked!

Just look at her....ugh gorgeous!

Everything is gonna be blacked out, except a nice 19" chrome set of these:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/cadrifting/ohyes.jpg

740iL2000BlackOutsideCloudyFinis-1.jpg

740iL2000BlackOutsideCloudyFinis-2.jpg

740iL2000BlackOutsideCloudyFinished.jpg

I think the G35 is a far superior car to that 9year old E38. Power wise, handling even in the looks dep't. Those cars can be electronic nightmares as they age and hugely expensive to maintain. For a 10year old car they still look great, but I would spend my $$$ elsewhere, there is a reason that you can get them cheap nowadays...lots of them, low demand and not overly desirable. If it means anything to you I have owned a few Benzes and Porsches and ruled out E-Classes and 5 series when I bought my M45 Infiniti (used) last year.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Yasin

At 100,000 miles the 740i will probably new transmission or at least a lot of work on it.

FYI... In 1999 BMW released the revised 740is:

The 1999 BMW 740i has undergone subtle changes from the 1994-1998 models. The front headlights have lower cutouts and with new grille slats, the front end has a smoother look. With most car designs starting at the wheel wells, the BMW has some of the best, with the front having large, deeply flared wells that interrupt the upper body crease. This is one of the best looking cars on the road. Although some think its too conservatively styled, every design feature is well integrated and very elegant.

Under the hood is a new, revised 4.4L DOHC, 32 valve (with variable valve timing) V-8 that pumps out 282 hp at only 5,400 rpm and a strong 324 lb-ft of torque at a low 3,700 rpm. This is an improvement of 14 lb ft of torque at 200 less rpm than the 1998 version. The new engine also qualifies as a low emission vehicle. Smooth would be an understatement.

This is a driving machine. The factory lists 0-60 performance at 6.8 seconds. Not. This 740i Sport blasted from 0-60 in a average of 6.17 seconds with one run at 6.02 backed up with a 6.09. These runs were done by simply flooring the throttle from a standing start without manually shifting the "Steptronic" automatic. Passing performance was equally quick with a 50-70 time of 3.30 seconds. A steep grade will only slow that time to 4.5 seconds. This is incredible performance considering the 4255 pounds of curb weight and is genuine super car performance.

The performance even more enjoyable because the BMW is never ruffled or pressed. It simply responds to your every desire with smooth, quiet instant power with a hint of that wonderful V-8 burble. Most polished.

The Steptronic 5 speed automatic, standard with the Sport, allows the driver to manually select gears by moving the shifter forward for upshifts and rearward for downshifts or just leave the tranny in "D" for more normal driving (understand, there is nothing normal about the 740 when it comes to performance). There are some bonuses. In the Steptronic mode, if you ask the tranny to downshift by throttle pressure, it will respond and downshift accordingly without any manual shifting, in case you forget its in "manual mode". Trick stuff.

The Sport package ($2,600 and worth every penny) is not just fancy wheels and tires. It comes with a shorter final drive ratio (rear end gears) of 3.15 instead of the standard 2.81. The torque converter has a higher stall speed to further boost acceleration response. The front suspension is lowered by .8 inches, with firmer spring settings (+10% front, 25% rear). Shocks are 100% firmer and front roll bar is thicker (22 mm versus 20.5 mm). The slighter lower profile really enhances the 740's looks as well. Very aggressive.

The wheels are more than just fancy, they are 18X8's in the front and 18X9.5's in the rear and are shod in Michelin Pilots of 235/50ZR's up front and 255/45ZR's in the rear.

Edited by johnc

I cannot speak by experience, but some of my friends owned some 740 Sport Version (short wheelbase) and they were spending more time at the mechanic than anything else. I never really looked at their problem, but mostly electronics.

Don't get me wrong, I love that car. At the time I was also considering a S500 or Jaguar XJR and finally went with a cheap daily driver and invested my money elsewhere. Today I would still look at them, if you can repair them yourself and don't mind doing it, I am sure it is a great car. Any high end European car have their problems...the look is amazing ! I guess you give at some places to gain elsewhere.

I say go for it, you will need time and/or money to fix it and know what you are getting into.

Dayz

Once a BMW attains the kind of miles you are talking about they become expensive/time consuming to maintain.

Great - you have aq friend that can help - their parts are expensive.

Yes, they are complex, yes there is a lot of fru-fru.

I have had BMW's, Fords, Mutsubishi's and Datsuns/Nissans/Infinitis.

I LIKE my '94 Q45a, but then again, it is only HALF as costly to maintain as ANY BMW, and I can do the work for the most part myself (routine maintenance that is).

I've decided to look for simplicity in my getting on in years and don't want to have to deal with any electronics other than ECU's and simple radio/cd changers, sunroofs, etc.

The less that can go wrong, the more I'll enjoy the car (both having it and driving it).

JMO...

I've been looking for a ~1998-2002 BMW 3-series but recently started looking at '02 or '03 Lexus IS300's or '03 G35's simply based on what I've been reading about reliability and cost-to-own of the BMW's. I've been reading about it from BMW owners and fanboys on forums mostly.

I have no illusion about the BMW looks and that 740 is no different - they generally look incredible.