HybridZ

Burning sparkplug boots!

We just got our autox car back together with our V8 conversion and ran into a small problem. We've got:

355 SBC

Vortec heads, mild cam

JTR kit

JTR spec'd Sanderson 1-5/8 headers

After the car gets hot several of the sparkplug wire boots are braking down and arcing to the primary pipes! We found that 5 or so of the 8 wires are doing this. We are using Accel 8mm wires, because we had them around....but now have to change cause they sure aren't cutting it.

My question: is this normal? We bought some MSD wires and the boots on those look just as large as the Accel boots. Clearance on the tightest plug boot to primary is about 1/32". We looked at the fiberglass sleeves to help protect the boot, but we would have to dimple the header to even make those fit!

We also found some new wires by Accel that have ceramic boot?!? Has anyone tried these?

Any help would be great!

Aren

I'm running Taylor Spiro-Pro wires 8mm high temp. They have a silicone inner and outer jacket for heat protection up to 600 degrees F and low-profile silicone boots. Mine have 90 degree boots and I position them to keep them as far away from the Sandersons as possible. Over 9000 miles with no problems.

We just got our autox car back together with our V8 conversion and ran into a small problem. We've got:

355 SBC

Vortec heads, mild cam

JTR kit

JTR spec'd Sanderson 1-5/8 headers

After the car gets hot several of the sparkplug wire boots are braking down and arcing to the primary pipes! We found that 5 or so of the 8 wires are doing this. We are using Accel 8mm wires, because we had them around....but now have to change cause they sure aren't cutting it.

My question: is this normal? We bought some MSD wires and the boots on those look just as large as the Accel boots. Clearance on the tightest plug boot to primary is about 1/32". We looked at the fiberglass sleeves to help protect the boot, but we would have to dimple the header to even make those fit!

We also found some new wires by Accel that have ceramic boot?!? Has anyone tried these?

Any help would be great!

Aren

MSD makes a high temp boot that is made out of a special rubber that devulanizes at a very high temperature 900+ degrees. You will have to cut your existing wires and put these on there. They will work unless you are actually touching the headers with the boots and they cost about 12 dollars for a set. If you are actually touching the headers then accell makes a ceramic boot that will work up to around 2000 degrees.

I had to put my LT1 D port angle plug Sanderson headers on a Straight plug Iron Head LT1, my Taylor wires are really close or touching, I installed the stock LT1 aluminum heat shields on the Taylor 90 degree boots, the aluminum shields touch the headers but I haven't started the motor yet to try them out, I'll let you know when I do and if the Taylor wires melt or not with the LT1 aluminum shields.

Accel Extreme 9000 Ceramic Wire Sets

ACCEL now offers the cure for burnt spark plug wire boots with Extreme 9000 Ceramic Wire kits. The 8mm Ferro-Spiral core wire now has ceramic boots on the spark plug end of the wires that will withstand up to 2,000° F. If you are running headers with close tolerances, an engine bay with little room, or an RV with boots that melt because of heat, these wire kits are the answer.

accel.jpg

keep in mind sbc use 90 degree boots and BBC uses 180 degree boots on the plugs in most applications

Accel Extreme 9000 Ceramic Wire Sets

The ACCEL Extreme 9000 Ceramic wire sets have an ultra high temperature double silicone construction wire rated at 600° F. Rated at 500-ohms per foot of resistance, the Ferro-Spiral core is developed & designed for performance use. It provides excellent energy delivery to the spark plugs, while providing the highest level of RFI/EMI suppression. These universal kits are available with either Straight Boots, 90° Boots or even 115° Ford style boots. The ceramic boots are pre-installed from the factory at the spark plug end.

• Ceramic spark plug boots cannot be burned – even if the headers glow red 

• Spiral wound wire core is safe for electronic ignitions 

• Improves engine performance, quicker throttle response and reduced emissions 

• Perfect for extreme use vehicles like hot rods, race cars, truc

Contact Information:

Accel

Phone: 216-688-8300

Site: http://www.accel-ignition.com

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+302903&D=302903

grumpy, is there any reason you shouldn't use 180 deg boots on a SBC? Seems like they would be easier to pull off being next to the headers and all.

Aren

if they clear the headers use them, its just not that comon for there to be adequate clearance or access on all 8 plugs with the strait boots