HybridZ

BMW I6 in a 240sx-this should have been a 240z....

clsatt

after searching this site and others, it looks like any of the bmw l6 engines that displace 2.8 or more have a rear sump that should settle behind the rack on a z quite nicely. I know here in VA a donor car for the swap is relatively easy to find at a reasonable price (stupid VA drivers have a tendency to rearend nice cars at speed, leaving engine, transmission, and electrical well intact)

any ideas why no one has attempted one of these swaps in the past?

I think one of the big things that keeps a lot of people from doing it is unfamiliarity of the engine. There aren't many newer engines being put into Z cars, even on these boards. It takes someone with bravery to just do it. We have many of those types around here, they just normally choose engines you can pick up for next to free somewhere.

One of the more interesting swaps (in my eyes) that's being done right now is a BMW V8.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Apostile

I know here in VA a donor car for the swap is relatively easy to find at a reasonable price (stupid VA drivers have a tendency to rearend nice cars at speed, leaving engine, transmission, and electrical well intact:burnout:

200sx? looks like a 240sx to me, but who knows? it being a m3 engine,its probably euro spec :P

240sx = 200sx in Europe if I remember right.

As for the m5 swap, very cool. I think the beamer swaps are kind of like the ls1 swap here, plentiful and you can't beat the power for price but I imagine that it has no where near 50/50 weight distribution.

Very cool swap though, I bet it boogies pretty good. :burnout:

Jup 200sx and 180sx's in europe only, a 240sx is a rarity here.

They thought of 6 banger BMW engine has crossed my mind alot, as i already have swapped the BMW v8 ( i still need to tie some ends together on that, but al in good time)

Engineering on these M engines is just phenomenal !

So id love to see someone do it

• 4 weeks later...

The things I would do for an S38B32 engine. IMO has one of the prettiest heads I've seen on an I6, and after riding in an old M5 is one of the smoothest engines at delivering a fairly healthy amount of power. Not to mention all BMW ZF boxes have excellent feel, at least the one's I've driven.

• Administrators

Filled the gas tank in the M3 today, once this tank is empty, (some time mid to late week, this week), the BMW gets parked, the S52 engine and 5 speed trans yanked out, weighed, and posted in the definitive weight thread, then immediately dropped into either Rons '77 parts car or my '75 Project FUZZY shell for a quick and dirty mock up..... ahead of schedule :shock:

What "schedule" you ask? You see, Rons wife made it crystal clear to Ron while we were all standing in the shop recently; "Finish the 510 project before you start any other projects!" noway.gif As soon as she leaves the immediate vicinity he starts bugging me about pulling the engine and mocking it up! I keep threatening to tell his wife he is starting another project... he just stares with a fiendish intensity... :lmao:

So when she sees the engine out of the car and asks about it, and she will, being a good friend I'll cover and tell her not to worry, that I was anxious to get my LSx conversion underway!.... cool.gif

(btw Ron, I like Fosters and Baileys Irish Cream... ) wink.gif