HybridZ

Electric door locks, do I really need this

ozzinc

I just thought that I would post this thread about the thought of installing door locks,

I purchased the kit and now im even having doubts about installing these locks,

the thought of having doors locks was fun, but when I really got to get ready to install the electric door locks I started to say what am I doing, this is suppose to be vintage sports car without all of the luxurys of the present, I dont mind the electric windows but hey even the ferrari f40 doesnt even have electric windows and I doubt if it even has electric door locks, So I have made the decision not to install these electric door locks for now.

all of the HYBRIDZ members are welcomed to leave there thoughts on adding to much to a vehicle that was made perfect from the begining.

Like Derek said, Is this your DD, or your weekend car?

I love my Z, and as much as I hate to say it, performance parts can wait for a little bit. I'm focusing on making the beast more comfortable to drive and getting it to look a little better right now. I'll have an alarm, AC, a full stereo system, a new interior, and all of my body work+paint before the summer is over so I can take it with me as my only car when I move across state this fall.

Power windows would be a great addition to a DD, along with power door locks, but if your Z is your fun sports car that only plays a few times per week then no ac, manual windows, and that luscious scent of gasoline and old vinyl that we have all grown to love is the only way to go :D

Ive finished the power windows install in my 240z and I am VERY happy with them. They don't weigh much more and the convenience is great...its pretty difficult (and dangerous) to try and grab the passenger window while moving and if you have harnesses its impossible all together w/o pulling over and unbuckling.

I thought about power door locks but ultimately decided to leave them off. Number one because to me its not very hard to reach across when you are getting out and pop the lock down if need be. And number two MOST lock systems I have used/seen have not worked very well, although im sure there are some good ones.

Regaurdless of what you do IMO the most important thing to keep in mind is keeping the wiring neat and properly installed. There isnt anything that makes me cringe more the hastily and improperly installed electrical accessories. When I installed the power windows in my car I took the dash out and loomed everything up and ran the wires in my harness.

Anyhow its your car, do what you like :) Vintage cars arent all they are made out to be unless you are rich and park them in your garage and drive them every once in a while (Yea ive already got my firesuit on). All in all I think for a street car any added convience is nice.

I don't see a need for power locks, but power windows are nice, and I have to have AC in my car eventually. I was thinking about making some fiberglass doors with lexan windows permanently attached so there's no weight of the glass or mechanicals of the windows and then I had a thought "What if I have to pay for a toll road or I go through a drive thru?" lol. I don't smoke or anything so if I have AC then the only reason I would ever roll down my windows was if I had to do some kind of transaction through it.

thoughts on adding to much to a vehicle that was made perfect from the begining

You are at Hybridz, so obviously you don't believe that statement you made.

I like the idea of electric windows for the same reason stated by Austin, A/C sounds good living in brisbane. Would probably leave door locks off.

Having said all that, I think I will probably not do any of these. LOL.

I would like to thank everyone of you guys for some great input, and I have decided not to install the doorlocks, but I did install the electric power windows and they work great.

I will post the photos of the work that im doing and I should be all done by the end of next week, im about to install the dynamat sound deadening material and I will also give you a glimpse of my monster sound system that I will be installing, and you can best believe me when I tell you it will have the hp to match, turbonetics hp of course"

I forgot to post why I have central locking...

doorlock.jpg

I shaved the door lock cylinders. The door looks a lot better without them. I still have a key to the hatch and if there is ever a problem I can reach in through the open hatch and unlock.

Sorry no shots of the finish product. It's raining out!

Derek

Edit: One other thing I did. By removing the lock Cylinder and then installing a metal shield over the latch there's no way to get in there with a slim jim.

I was thinking about making some fiberglass doors with lexan windows permanently attached so there's no weight of the glass or mechanicals of the windows and then I had a thought "What if I have to pay for a toll road or I go through a drive thru?" lol.

You could mimic the side (sliding) 'curtain' windows found on vintage British cars, i.e., original minis, sprites, etc.

I just got finished installing key less entry in the Z. It is NICE! The main reason for doing this is my factory keyed locks were starting to fail and I got the whole key less entry kit for about what it would cost to replace the cylinders. So far its nice.. The install wasn't bad but I did have help from my friend Kris who does this sort of thing for a living. The kit is from auto page and the solenoids work great and locks/unlocks every time. The power windows are on my to do list for sure!!

You could mimic the side (sliding) 'curtain' windows found on vintage British cars, i.e., original minis, sprites, etc.

Like what Factory Five has on there Type 65 Coupe? I thought about that too but thought it would fairly obvious to would-be theives and just scream "Hey, you can easily get inside me"...after that thought I kinda had the idea of having it hinged either on the top or bottom. And now a new idea, have a little handle on the top (nothing fancy) so you can manually slide it into the door and then back up again to a locking mechanism. It would still look like a normal window and you can lower and raise it faster than any electrical one.

I too ordered a central locking system. Haven't even received it and I'm thinking about not installing it. Had to replace a door handle thanks to a worn key cylinder, not a fun task. It will probably get done once I find the rubber wire prtectors for the door to the body. Then again I still drive my car in Texas heat with no a/c.