HybridZ

Ring gear pitted

madkaw

Well I just got around opening up the LSD I bought. I wasn't real happy to see the ring gear had some pretty bad pitting. Someone let this rear sit around without oil in it -I guess. I paid 700$ for this rear and now i wonder if I will have issues from this pitting. Please look at the pics and let me know what you think. The rear turns very freely and the outer axle bearings looked good. Do you think I will have any problems from this pitting?

diff_thumb.jpg

Well Since im doing Drivlelines and Gear Ratio's in school lol. Yes its pitted but yes you can Sand thaat smoother.. As for Gear Ratio it shouldnt be greatly affected as those pits are prolly like 0.0005" deep so that litterally nothing. Best Bet. Sand it up or leave it be it should be fine. those gears can take huge HP so I doubt they will crack or chip.

Reasons:

Its not dented (causing hardened metal to be pushed up) which eventually stress cracks throughout metal

And with normal wear those would be gone in a few weeks to months

I believe they are worse then .0005, maybe .0010. Do you really think I should sand them? What would be the worst scenerio for this situation? I would have noise or it would cause a stress crack?

Forget about replacing the ring and pinion, just swap the LSD into another diff if it comes to that. I'd run it. When I sold diff parts for Randy's R&P we had lots of oddball diffs that we had used gears for. Sometimes we'd sell them with light rust or pitting, because the guy just needed gears and couldn't find anything else. Never had a set sent back or complained about. If the pitting isn't really bad I don't think it will make a difference. It's tough to tell from your picture how deep the pits are...

I guess I will run it like it is since I sold my other diff I had. In the end it is my fault for not insisting the seller take pics of the inside. If your going to pay this much money for a used part, check it out thoroughly and ask for lot's of pictures.

Yeah it will be fine man seriously. I mean hose things arent totally sand blated and perfect from factory right. They allow for imperfections. only the gears are cut to certain Specs and it isnt like Micro thread Count its HEAVY COURSE hehe