HybridZ

Floor Pan questions

So I finally found some time to work on the Z. I started off by taking out the carpet and dumping it. I noticed a lot of rust chips and so I proceeded to chip off the old sound deadening.

I was pretty dissapointed when i started to see light through the floor. So now I'm in need of new floor pans. This lead me to my first question.

Are the OEM floors two layers? It seems like I see two separate layers. Yet, when I was looking online for some new floor pans they are only a single layer... Any input would be appreciated thanks.

cimg5275.jpg

My other question is about the repair. It seems that the front (towards engine) portion of the floor pan is heavily rusted, but the rear section, towards the seat was somewhat preserved beacause of the stock sound deadening material. Should I replace the whole floor pan or just the section? If this will save me some money then I'll try that route. Unless of course there's a good reason like, mixing old metal with new.

I think the decision to replace the whole floor or not would be one you need to make. When you get it all stripped down to bare metal you can look at the whole thing. Obviously you would not replace the whole thing if there are just a few rust areas. Also depends on your perception of "little" or "a lot" of rust. Little rust to you might be a lot for someone else. You have any pictures? A picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck.

Be very careful how you proceed... That long "strip" of rust on the right side of the picture that goes with the length of the car - that is the top of your frame rail... If you think you are going to just replace the "rusty places" - you'll end up doing a mess of work if you expect to do it "right". What are the goals for the car?

Yeah you are absolutely right. I did some more cleaning of the area and it's much more worse then I thought. I'm going to have to replace the entire floor pan and frame rails.

As far as goals for the car. Right now, it has no transmission so I'll just start off with a motor swap from the get go. KA24de ITB turbo. Probably 250hp. I'm thinking for the floor pans and rails, sheet metal and square tubing should be enough right? 20gauge?

Thanks for the input!

Yeah you are absolutely right. I did some more cleaning of the area and it's much more worse then I thought. I'm going to have to replace the entire floor pan and frame rails.

As far as goals for the car. Right now, it has no transmission so I'll just start off with a motor swap from the get go. KA24de ITB turbo. Probably 250hp. I'm thinking for the floor pans and rails, sheet metal and square tubing should be enough right? 20gauge?

Thanks for the input!

Don't just think that a KA swap is going to t be as easy as you might think. there are some engine mechanical issues that you have to contend with. Like dealing with the front sump clearance issue and some others that I rather you find out on your own :P

If you have intentions of driving the car, and driving it hard you really need to fix the rust properly. My guess is that when you clean it up and cut out the rusty bits of the floor you will find the frame rail to be rusted and structurally compromised. If you don't fix this properly you will be compromising the integrity of your entire chassis.

I just replaced the floors in my 70 240Z. The multiple layers are where seams connect the floor to the front, rear, and frame rail. The frame rail only goes part way back. Here are some pictures.

Start on R/H side

5-16-09013.jpg

Drill spot weld and remove seat brackets.

5-16-09024.jpg

Remove old floor (this shows new Bad Dog rail being installed)

5-17-09015.jpg

cut fit install floor

5-23-09030.jpg

Repeat if necessary..

6-6-09041.jpg

View of installed Bad dog rails (they extend all the way to rear suspension supports).

6-6-09034.jpg

Hope this helps.

Gord

Gord,

Were your floorpans from Zed Findings? Do you have any closeups of where you trimmed along the trans tunnel? I've been chickening out on patching mine, my 72 is orange and looks very similar to where you just patched (except you have a battery box/firewall where as I do not). I've had the Zeds and a fullset of Bad dogs for like 6 months... just can't seem to get out there and get them in.

Thanks,

Jay

gmac708, That looks great good job! They do look like zed pan and rails, are they? Many thanks for the pictures.

Too bad I can't use the zed findings floors since my rust extends beyond the edges of the zed kits.

Looks like, from the underside picture, you're going... RB?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Seriously. gmac708, why did you replace them? It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with them. The new floors do look good though, good job.

Well...

They did have a few holes in them, some areas were pretty thin. It looked like the floors rusted from the inside-out. It might have been moisture from wet carpet or something. The photo's don't really show it and I never took any pictures specifically of it. I did stare at them for quite a while, trying to figure the easiest way out, eventually figured, WTF ?!?! I planned on adding the Bad Dog frame rails because of the RB swap, it didn't seem like that much more work to replace the floors.

It really isn't that hard to do. (except for the burning skin and hair from welding upside-down) :mrgreen:

Looking good!! Quick question, I have the zedd findings pans and rails. The rails that they come with only cover the area under the pan. I need the entire rail up to the TC bucket. I really cant tell fron the pics, do the Bad Dog rails weld directly to the tc bucket?? Thanks!!