HybridZ

Ouch...my little toe is broke'd!

jerryb

So I was helping a friend move his fabrication shop today and had an accident.

A 6 inch OD by 7 inch high piece of steel rolled of a shelf. Everyone tried to warn me and I did manage to dance more or less out of the way but it nailed me anyway on my little toe. After I completed the second act of my dance I was surprised how light that piece of steel was....to learn it was titanium.

Thank goodness I danced and titanium is so much lighter than steel. Anyway...it didnt break my foot just my one toe.....its all sorts of tones of blues, yellows and purples! and just a tade swollen! LOL

Anyway...I got through the day by lacing me sneakers nice and tight and eating Aleve.

Lesson learned, should have worn safety shoes!:oops:

Yes ...correct. Had the same discussion with my wife last night. In this case....they would have helped for sure!:frown:

Its really not so bad....the toe is black and blue, foot is slightly off colour and swollen and I can get around just fine. Just tough getting any foot wear on.

Steel toe boots have there own issues.

Do protect under light to heavyish loads, once exceeded.........

I think its funny to see people argue against steel toes as if they will cause more damage to the foot then the part that fell on it in the first place. Mythbusters pretty much blew that misconception out the door years ago.

If whatever falls on your foot is heavy enough to crush the steel toe it willhave destroy your foot regardless of type of shoe - or lack thereof.

Its gotta be pretty big and heavy to squash steel toed shoes. I visit customers that not only insist on steel toed shoes but also require deflectors for the top of the foot. They believe this aspect of foot protection is more critical.

Hey...go to the steel mills and they insist you wear hard hats. Why? If anything falls on you in a mill the hat sure as hell isnt going to stop it. but it will mark the spot!

Give that one to myth busters.....lol.

I think its funny to see people argue against steel toes as if they will cause more damage to the foot then the part that fell on it in the first place. Mythbusters pretty much blew that misconception out the door years ago.

If whatever falls on your foot is heavy enough to crush the steel toe it willhave destroy your foot regardless of type of shoe - or lack thereof.

i remember that episode actually. sorry to hear about the toe Jerry.

LOL.......here you go.

IMG00188.jpg

Took the picture on my phone, no reason to be more graphic than necessary.

Overnight my other toes also turned bluish as well as a funny line...bruise down one side of my foot.

Oh hey can we have pictures of your disgusting toe? I'll post pictures of mine if you post pictures of yours. Haha.

No but really, I'm curious. >_>

You're fine. :P I had the same thing. Wearing flip flops, walking out of school and stubbed my little toe on a portable volleyball post. Healed up with a bump but its fine now.

This is my big toe:

2ic1lqd.jpg

33p6n94.jpg

I had discomfort for a while and noticed it had formed a decent blister. I popped it and as I was just getting the remains out the fluid went from clear to white so I was like .... -_-; It had formed a substantial lump, went to the doctor thinking it was an ingrown toenail even though I trim them. 5 minutes of waiting and all the doctor says "No its not an ingrown nail its an infection, take these pills" That 5 minute apointment cost $30 and the pills were like $7 for 2 weeks worth. I don't know about you, but some cheap $7 pills aren't going to fix anything. I was either going to heal by myself or not at all. I cleaned out the wound 3 times a day, took my pills, guess what its still there with a weird lump. Hah, now I'm going back and I'm going to ask for something to be done right there. Infection my ass... its been 2 months and its still there. Fine to walk on but if you stub it or someone steps on it you wish you were dead.