HybridZ

A few Pics the from the weekends run through the Santa Monica mountains

Bigdeezs

I think your car would look 100000 time better lowered and with flares. IMHO the wheels look to big for the stock wheel wells. Also have you noticed any rubbing?

Looks like you guys were going pretty hard.. :) Looks like your fenders and tires have become on. :)

I completely agree...all in good time(aka money). We are both on stock 34+ year old suspension...haha. No rubbing but the rear fender inner edges are rolled because they used to on mine. The blue Datsun is unmodified and expereinces no rubbing.

Yeah, there's a couple guys in the canyons there that take pics of everything that goes by. They post them up on their website and try to sell them in high quality. Thats whats up with the markings. Heres a couple other intersting ones from Saturday:

3608928451_f4baea6912.jpg3609717728_8e7f1db1f0.jpg

3608908295_3e1bb8ed5f.jpg3608971097_365632547f.jpg<-Tesla

buggati Veyron, 1000hp, awd, 16 cylinder, quad turbo, 252mph topspeed....MADNESS

Lol, I think thats actually the first time I've seen one of those from the rear. I've always seen the tiny little grill in the center, front view lol. Thanks

3609307011_095b198a2a.jpg

Isn't there a big rock with a TARGET painted on it right behind the photographer? I guess it's not as big a deal since they don't do the illegal racing like they used to, but still, if that's where I'm thinking it is it's not a good place to stand...

Back in the 80's there would be hundreds of bikes at the view site and the rock store watching guys race 2 at a time from the rock store to the viewsite. My dad used to take my brother and I up there to watch. Crazy stuff. That section of road isn't the craziest though. A couple turns past that Mulholland runs into Decker. Turn right and go down the hill, and THAT is one hell of a section of road. Or try Latigo Canyon. Or Deer Creek. All are way tighter and more fun.

hmmm not sure about the target...but on the weekends there are definitely TONS of bikes (motor and cyclists), tons of exotics, and Jay Leno often comes out in some crazy rig.

Watching some racing there would be really cool with the lookout as a vantage point. I usually stand there for a while watching all the guys havin fun goin up and down. Musta been so much fun back then!

Me and my buddy took Latigo back down to PCH and cruised home. Its alotta fun and we do it pretty often. Have you been down Tuna canyon?...its a one way downhill section that dumps you at PCH and is supertight! I really need some better brakes for that section.

hmmm not sure about the target...but on the weekends there are definitely TONS of bikes (motor and cyclists), tons of exotics, and Jay Leno often comes out in some crazy rig.

Watching some racing there would be really cool with the lookout as a vantage point. I usually stand there for a while watching all the guys havin fun goin up and down. Musta been so much fun back then!

It was pretty crazy. They only used to race UP, at least when I was there. Someone had painted a start line right outside the Rock Store. I probably went up there 10 times, but my brother was right in it actually racing his 86 Ninja 600. There was a lot of stupid stuff going on. I remember a guy losing it on one of the tighter corners down near the bottom and blood everywhere and he got up and ran to the edge of the road (his bike had flown off) and he was screaming "My BIKE! My BIKE!"

Another time my brother had me on the back of his bike and he was riding the line and another guy was riding the line in the other direction and we came around that corner with the HUGE rock sticking out of the side of the road, probably 1/2 mile from the rock store. So two cars and the other bike and us all went around that corner at the same time. Handlebars hit, nobody went down.

Yet another time my brother came around the corner to my house literally jumped into the driveway and started screaming "Open the gate! Open the gate! Open the gate!" so I did, and he pulled his bike in, threw a tarp over it and ripped his helmet off and about 5 seconds later a police helicopter flew over. Yes, my brother outran a chopper.

Those are really his stories though. If you want to really understand my story, go do like I said and turn right onto Decker. Go down 4 turns, then pull over wherever you can. Get out and go to the edge of the cliff, and look down. You'll see that if you rolled a car there, you'd have to go about 250 feet down the cliff before you stopped. I don't know how many times we went over, but I'd guess 10. And yes, I screamed liked a bitch all the way down. My best friend was in the car with me, we hiked out at 3:30 AM and walked to the nearest house we saw and had an ambulance come pick us up. That roll, 250 feet down the cliff, is why I got into autocrossing. SO much better. You need to try it if you haven't. Or a track day. You can push way beyond what is reasonable in the canyons without having the instant death repercussions.

I have lots more Decker stories, but I think I've gone on enough...

Me and my buddy took Latigo back down to PCH and cruised home. Its alotta fun and we do it pretty often. Have you been down Tuna canyon?...its a one way downhill section that dumps you at PCH and is supertight! I really need some better brakes for that section.

I damn near rear ended a 928 S4 at the bottom of Tuna Canyon. I had kept up with him all the way down the road in my first Z, but the brakes were just faded beyond any function whatsoever when we got to the bottom. I remember standing both feet on the brake pedal just praying it would stop in time. The 928 turned left onto PCH just before I would have rear ended him.

hey j maybe you should stick to the track and get to know your car better. or at least know your limits. chasing a porsche downhill on stock brakes isnt really smart

going off decker 10 times and with a passenger isnt something to brag about

hey j maybe you should take it to the track and get to know your car better. or at least know your limits. chasing a porsche downhill on stock brakes isnt really smart

going off decker 10 times and with a passenger isnt something to brag about

Thanks for the heads up. :rolleyes: I went to WATCH THE RACES with my dad and brother 10 times. I rolled off Decker ONCE. We did roll over ~10 times. That happened in 1993. I stopped driving like an idiot in the canyons then, and took up autocrossing and track days.