HybridZ

Phlebmaster's 240Z Evolution, 56k fah-getta-bout-it. ;-)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Cost... cost... cost... The attraction to traditional SBC is performance per $$$$.$$, especially when uber levels of power are not required for the initial phase of the project. The LS7 and SB2 both deliver the power and LOTS of it, but they don't fall within the typical Datsun budget when 200-300 street-able HP is all that is required or desired for the initial running project, (enough power to be fun and inexpensive to acquire). Starting out there allows LOTS of room for future performance growth within a shoe string budget, i.e. project can realistically be enjoyed, "driven" vs sitting on jack stands waiting for several more paychecks to come in. Another bonus to building in phases is starting with a drivable car with mild-modest power is the fulfillment of learning how to manage appreciate that power level, again enjoying it from behind the wheel vs staring at it on jack stands. As you get comfortable with each phase, start implementing the next phase of performance, growing the car over the years in steps prolongs the enjoyment of the project, stretching the fun factor of the Z over a longer period vs going for the max effort from the get go! Going for the max effort dream Z from the get go is cool, but after the honey moon is over, car is "done" and you are used to it, you are ready for the next step... what next?

Heck, if we had that sort of budget we wouldn't be on this forum, we'd be on the Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren F1 forums... :wink:

Edited by BRAAP

Point made... But still. A Nascar Z would be cool. Though you can start with a SBC and I believe brodix makes the cant valve "SB2" type head, in the event you want something completely nuts later on.

I'm trying to build a stroker motor on a budget, so there's gotta be a way...

At any rate, good work phleb

• Administrators
Point made... But still. A Nascar Z would be cool. Though you can start with a SBC and I believe brodix makes the cant valve "SB2" type head, in the event you want something completely nuts later on.

I'm trying to build a stroker motor on a budget, so there's gotta be a way...

At any rate, good work phleb

Ah.... yes, good point, the SB2 would be a nice progression to build up to, upon the SBC foundation. Definitely a road less traveled with serious N/A performance potential! :2thumbs:

Lots of used NASCAR SB2 take out parts available at prices comparable to new street-performance parts, (rotating, reciprocating parts, valve train, heads, etc), all would be totally fine in milder "hot-street" tuned configuration. :burnout:

Hold the presses!!

I just found out that I may be getting the motor out of this 13 second car!! Minus the aluminum parts and high rise intake...but who cares! I will have some serious HP to start with. He also has a couple of 4spds I can look at. He is making me an awesome deal AND I will get the chance to drive the car before I buy.

The motor is a 350 with modified 305 heads and a cam...other than that I don't know much more right now. I am stoked!! :mrgreen:

I will need a waterpump and a stock intake.

That video link was a joke right? :lol:

:lmao: Well, he can't take a video for beans but that is the only pic I have of that thing. lol More pics when I go see it and drive it. ;)

Here is another one...the guy is a riot!!

Max is the driver and owner of the car. He is also the brother of one of my coworkers. :)

Waiting to go see this engine is killing me!!! AHHHH!

Ok, I feel better now.

I have located an aluminum sbc 4 barrel intake for 5.00 on CL.

I got in touch with BrianV8z who lives near me and I will be getting together with him to discuss small details and look over his swap.

This will happen very fast as soon as I get all of the right parts together. Anyone who has seen my projects knows this already though. lol

Right now it is a matter of gathering what I need to get the swap in and running in 1-2 days. Ambitious I know... :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ZZ4 350 SBC in my 240z!!

:D

2irw4d5.jpg

oqk6c3.jpg

The ride home was interesting to say the least! I now have a rebuildable engine. The block casting # is: 10243880...350...95-00...2 or 4...Vortec truck, Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal. The block was not in the weather very long.... The rust in the cylinder walls is just surface rust.

I can use either a roller cam or a flat tappet with this motor! :)

I am on my way!!

Thanks to Ron and Paul!!

here are better pics of my loot.

"swirly" heads casting # 14102193 They need some work, but I think they will be good for parts or trade for 305 heads.

25qdaaa.jpg

16hqngw.jpg

rar9yb.jpg

ZZ4, one peice rear main seal, 2 bolt main, 350 sbc casting# 10243880...complete bottom end. :)

2j1qsuu.jpg

eb65gk.jpg

28w19jb.jpg

ng3bko.jpg

14kctgz.jpg

vpfdlj.jpg

The bearings are in good shape! And the rods are weird looking....no marings on them at all. I am assuming they are just stock rods.

2ppm3i1.jpg

34j8yv7.jpg

10z7q5j.jpg

2lb2b9g.jpg

bey4uc.jpg

21ccx8j.jpg

2ldo8x.jpg